[SOLVED] Does Asus Prime A320M-K fully support Ryzen 5 3400G?

Pimpom

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
I'm thinking of building an inexpensive general-purpose machine based on a Ryzen 5 3400G . The Asus Prime A320M-K seems to be one of the cheapest motherboards from a major brand. But whereas the Ryzen 5 3400G is on the list of supported CPUs, the specs list says it's for "3rd/2nd/1st Gen AMD Ryzen™/2nd and 1st Gen AMD Ryzen™ with Radeon™ Vega Graphics " (3rd Gen not mentioned). The same thing is said for the Gigabyte GA-A320M-S2H. Does this mean that the Ryzen 5 3400G can run on it but is not fully supported - perhaps the Vega 11 IGP? OR does it just mean that the specs were written before the 3400G came out? These mobos otherwise have all the features I need.

Solution
The 3400G is actually from the 2nd Gen 3000 series processors/APU's from AMD's Ryzen platform. You might want to look at this CPU support list. The key point to note in that list is the BIOS version you need as a minimum before you're able to work with the APU mentioned above.

Pimpom

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
Ah, I see. Thank you both. I'd assumed that the 3400G was 3rd Gen.

As a corollary question, is there any reason why I should avoid the two mobos I mentioned - or the A320 chipset in general? This build is obviously not meant to be a powerhouse and, as already mentioned, these models have all the features I need. I do know that the M.2 interface on these mobos is limited to SATA III speed.

Last edited:
Ah, I see. Thank you both. I'd assumed that the 3400G was 3rd Gen.

As a corollary question, is there any reason why I should avoid the two mobos I mentioned - or the A320 chipset in general? This build is obviously not meant to be a powerhouse and, as already mentioned, these models have all the features I need. I do know that the M.2 interface on these mobos is limited to SATA III speed.
Those are not only reasons, generally A320 MBs are bottom of the line, their VRMs are also miserable, not able to OC and memory topology rarely can handle more than 2933-300MHz. That is important for APU processors as higher speed memory would also give you better graphics performance as they use RAM instead of VRAM found on dedicated GPUs.
B4xxx MBs are not much more expensive and are way better in all fields. Better cheapest b450 than most expensive a320.