willyburns

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2014
Hi,

Everything is contained within the title: Does ASUS provide a "12VHPWR Adapter Cable" for their Thor 850W PSU for powering an RTX 3080 Ti which I can buy separately so that I don't have to use the weird micro-penis 2x8 pin PCIe adapter that Nvidia provide?

I can't seem to find anything about the Thor PSUs but other companies, such as beQuiet!, have one available to purchase if you already have a PSU of theirs that released before the 30 series dropped. Thanks :d

Over and out . . . :unsure:

willyburns

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2014
As opposed to getting an 850W unit, might want to look into a higher wattage unit, something along the lines of 1KW or a little higher for the sake of headroom.

To be clear, I've had the PSU since they first released and I'm looking for a 12-pin to 2x8-pin pcie cable so I can connect my RTX 3080 Ti to my Thor PSU directly. I'm having trouble finding one online.

Thanks for the reply anyway 👍🏻.

willyburns

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2014
As opposed to getting an 850W unit, might want to look into a higher wattage unit, something along the lines of 1KW or a little higher for the sake of headroom.
Aside for the other components within the system being negligible to the overall power draw, and using HWinfo to monitor the stats (not perfect but a decent yardstick); using Heaven fullscreen 4K at the "Extreme" preset, and Cinebench's Multi Core test, the maximum wattage the GPU drew was 244.206 W, and the CPU pulled 327.724 W, so even if I throw another 200 W for other components as an estimate I'm looking at a 771.93 W total system draw under the most heavy of loads which isn't indicative of the power drawn while gaming, or even during productivity tasks; however, even then there's still headroom with an 850 W Platinum rated PSU.

View: https://imgur.com/a/dMKrT78

I just needed to know if anyone was able to find a reliable "16pin 12VHPWR Adapter cable" for the 'ASUS THOR 850 W PSU' as the supplied cable is bizarrely short, bends awkwardly, and doesn't fit very well in my Lian-Li O11 Dynamic because it pushes against the glass. CableMOD also recalled their 90 degree adapter and ceased manufacture as they caused fire hazards in some people rigs.

I have contacted ASUS directly but they have remained silent. I may sell this one and buy a different PSU that has a native HPWR PCIe port on the PSU.

😵‍💫