[SOLVED] Does ASUS TUF GAMING X570-PLUS support 32 GB 3600 MHZ ram sticks? Can I run 4 x 32 GB 3600 MHZ ram sticks optimally?

Nov 27, 2020
Hello guys,

I am building a PC with ASUS TUF GAMING X570-PLUS mobo.

I am looking for a RAM intensive build and was planning on using 2x32 gb 3600 MHZ G Skill Trident Ram.

When I checked the QVL list here - https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/...or_3rd_Gen_AMD_Ryzen_Processors_X570_0722.pdf

I didn't find ANY supported 32 gb single stick RAM but the mobo supports upto 128 GB ram in total in the 4 slots.

So here are my questions -
  1. Is the mobo able to support 2x32 gb stick 3600 MHZ RAM sticks?
  2. If I need to up the memory even further down the line, is it possible to run 4x32gb 3600 MHZ ram sticks on the ASUS TUF GAMING X570-PLUS mobo?
Thanks all

Last edited:
Solution
  1. Maybe. The spec sheet says 3600MHz is considered overclocked. Whenever you get in to overclocking, it's always a toss-up. It will also depend on the processor you use.
  2. The QVL says 64Gb is supported but you will need to buy 4 new modules rather than 2. Two might work but 4 new modules will be more likely to work depending on how far in the future you are when you buy them. I would suggest getting them now rather than later. Many things can happen on the vendor's end that make new modules at a later date not work on your machine. For example they may adopt chips with higher density that reduce their chip count but still fit in the module's specification.
  1. Maybe. The spec sheet says 3600MHz is considered overclocked. Whenever you get in to overclocking, it's always a toss-up. It will also depend on the processor you use.
  2. The QVL says 64Gb is supported but you will need to buy 4 new modules rather than 2. Two might work but 4 new modules will be more likely to work depending on how far in the future you are when you buy them. I would suggest getting them now rather than later. Many things can happen on the vendor's end that make new modules at a later date not work on your machine. For example they may adopt chips with higher density that reduce their chip count but still fit in the module's specification.

Reactions: drea.drechsler
Solution
Nov 27, 2020
Thank you!

Maybe. The spec sheet says 3600MHz is considered overclocked. Whenever you get in to overclocking, it's always a toss-up. It will also depend on the processor you use.
I see. If 3600MHZ is considered as overclocking then I'd rather upgrade the mobo then to rog strix or crosshair hero viii

The QVL says 64Gb is supported but you will need to buy 4 new modules rather than 2. Two might work but 4 new modules will be more likely to work depending on how far in the future you are when you buy them. I would suggest getting them now rather than later. Many things can happen on the vendor's end that make new modules at a later date not work on your machine. For example they may adopt chips with higher density that reduce their chip count but still fit in the module's specification.

Yeah that's true. But I want to be able to upgrade it to 128 gb ram in the future and hence am gunning for the 32 gb stick as 16x4 won't help me in that regard.
i'll be using amd 3900xt as the processor.

Considering these, do you think it'd be better if I just upgrade the mobo now rather than later as I can still return it within the next week or so?

Thanks again for your time :D

Thank you!

I see. If 3600MHZ is considered as overclocking then I'd rather upgrade the mobo then to rog strix or crosshair hero viii
You're logic may be faulty: it's considered 'overclocking' in the context of the CPU, not the motherboard. The memory controller is on the CPU and it's only specc'd to work up to 3200Mhz on either Matisse or Vermeer processors. The motherboard may help when trying to run up to 3600...especially 4 sticks....but it still depends way more on the CPU silicon quality. Oh yes, and the memory too.

Lastly...what are you doing that's so memory sensitive it has to be 3600? Reason that's important is getting 4 sticks that high may very easily come only with relaxed timings and therefore higher latency much higher than the clock speed can offset. Memory sensitive applications might not like that, making an easier to get 3200 at tight timings and low latency perform just as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: KaizokuOnii

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
Reactions: drea.drechsler