Does bridging reduce overall speed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hello!

I had someone tell me that if you try to extend a wireless network by using
multiple access points, the speed gets cut in half with each connected AP.
In other words, he said if you have one AP at 54Mbps, then you add two more
to extend the network, you end up with 1/4 the speed at which you started.

That does not seem to make sense, but I have never tried it. Any truth to
this idea?

Gregg

Hi
It depends how the Bridging is done.
If you use a repeater the "Speed" would be cut into half, basic Repeaters have only one
Radio that has to alternate between Client and AP mode, thus reduces the "Speed" of the
extended segment by 50%.
Otherwise Bridging should not affect "Speed".
Wireless Modes: http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Modes.html
Wireless Bridging: http://www.ezlan.net/bridging1.html
Jack (MVP-Networking).