[SOLVED] Does cache latency really matter if not gaming and photo/video editing?

Muhammad Jahid

Commendable
Jun 4, 2020
If anyone does basic stuffs like regular web browsing, youtube watching, Ms Office, then does cache latency really matter if not gaming and photo/video editing?

Solution
yes.
it truly depends on which cache you are referring to but generally speaking a cache is short term storage. the faster that storage the less time the CPU/GPU spends waiting for more data from slower sources HDD/SSD.

I use a RAM cache for my SSD and an SSD cache for my HDD's.

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
yes.
it truly depends on which cache you are referring to but generally speaking a cache is short term storage. the faster that storage the less time the CPU/GPU spends waiting for more data from slower sources HDD/SSD.

Solution

Muhammad Jahid

Commendable
Jun 4, 2020
yes.

I am telling about ram cache latency(CL)

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
CL=CAS Latency.
CAS latency is a direct measure of you RAM. How man clocks it takes to access the a column of RAM, CL 16 takes 16 clock cycles, CL 14 takes 14. the higher the CL the slower the RAM will respond. you can only compare the CL of RAM that runs the same speed. 3000 15 vs 3000 18.
you cannot compare different speed CL because the CL is measured in clock cycles, a faster RAM will have more cycles to play with and that changes the math.

that being said, the speeds at which RAM runs today a few numbers higher on the CL will not be readily apparent outside of benchmarking or direct measure, you not likely to notice.

Reactions: thefxgamingrules