Question Does capping FPS at half my 75hz monitor's refresh rate make sense?

radioactivejawa

Prominent
Aug 16, 2018
In some single-player games in which the framerate fluctuates a lot, I prefer to play with a console-ish cap and a controller. My last monitor was 60hz, so I did 30 FPS in these instances. "New" monitor is 75hz, so I've been doing 37.5 cap on RTSS for these games rather than 30 under the impression it might be better to work with half the max FPS the screen can output (frame times and stuff). Am I doing it right? It looks good to me. I have G-Sync on, by the way.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
I am not sure I would use "doing it right", however if you are happy with the results and it's working for you who am I to question? I don't know of any technical reason why NOT or cause damage to anything other than the frames you are limiting....;)

radioactivejawa

Prominent
Aug 16, 2018
I am not sure I would use "doing it right", however if you are happy with the results and it's working for you who am I to question? I don't know of any technical reason why NOT or cause damage to anything other than the frames you are limiting....;)

I was just wondering about the most correct way to go about this. I know I won't damage anything, but I was wondering if I'm screwing my frame times or something doing this.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
I was just wondering about the most correct way to go about this. I know I won't damage anything, but I was wondering if I'm screwing my frame times or something doing this.

There is much to be said about what you could be leaving on the table. I don't know what your build is, don't know what demands are being put upon it by what games. I cannot imagine going to spend money on a 75hz monitor over a 60hz monitor just to cap it under what the first monitor was capable of....under the assumption that your hardware can match that.

Easy answer, if you have capable hardware I would run it at a cap that makes sense and works for you.

henterpriser

Reputable
Sep 14, 2019
In some single-player games in which the framerate fluctuates a lot, I prefer to play with a console-ish cap and a controller. My last monitor was 60hz, so I did 30 FPS in these instances. "New" monitor is 75hz, so I've been doing 37.5 cap on RTSS for these games rather than 30 under the impression it might be better to work with half the max FPS the screen can output (frame times and stuff). Am I doing it right? It looks good to me. I have G-Sync on, by the way.
Hello!
Can i know the reason that you want to use the half of your monitor FPS cap?

Do you experience stutters ingame?