Does changing os but keeping the old hardrive work?

Sep 14, 2018
i want to get windows 10 for my pc that currently has windows 7. I also want to keep my harddrive because i dont want to reinstall everything i have on it. If i install windows 10 on this hardrive does it just overwrite windows 7 or does it completely f*** up my pc?
Thanks

Solution
i just had a dell that had a virus that kept it from updating. i reloaded the windows 7 image and it updated to 10 with no issues. if the windows 10 update does not pop up under windows updates. make a windows 10 iso usb stick. boot into windows 7 and then plug the usb stick in and run windows update from the usb stick. it make a windows.old folder of your old apss and program. windows 10 was register with a digital key when it was done. just make sure there no virus or malware whe nyou do the update.

USAFRet

Titan

You can maybe do an Upgrade from Win 7 to Win 10. And it may even activate, even though the free upgrade period is long, long gone.

i just had a dell that had a virus that kept it from updating. i reloaded the windows 7 image and it updated to 10 with no issues. if the windows 10 update does not pop up under windows updates. make a windows 10 iso usb stick. boot into windows 7 and then plug the usb stick in and run windows update from the usb stick. it make a windows.old folder of your old apss and program. windows 10 was register with a digital key when it was done. just make sure there no virus or malware whe nyou do the update.

Solution