Question Does channel mode for ram modules affect CPU booting temperature?

hshark93

Reputable
Jun 2, 2015
About a month ago one of my ram modules failed, the original set up was DIMM1, DIMM3, DIMM5, DIMM7, and would not boot unless the faulty module was removed, then using DIMM1, DIMM3, DIMM5. While running my computer, waiting for new units to be sent, the start up temps would reach around 70-80C and then go down to around 40-50C after about 5 minutes in Windows. Now I've got 4 new modules in (replacing the old ones) the start up temps don't go above 55 and settle at around 42 after only a couple of minutes. Although the systems, I would think, would not be at all correlated is there a reason for the CPU reaching high temps when one module was removed or just strange timings? Thanks for any suggestions

Specs:
CPU: Intel - Core i7-5820K 3.3 GHz 6-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Corsair - H100i v2 70.69 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
Motherboard: MSI - X99A SLI KRAIT EDITION ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16 GB (4 x 4 GB) DDR4-2400 Memory
Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6 GB MSI
Case: NZXT - H440 (White/Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G2 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

hshark93

Reputable
Jun 2, 2015
Well, I there is one person here on the forums that has an 8086K, and his CPU temps dropped by 10C simply by disabling XMP.

So yes memory can affect CPU temperatures, but temps that high like you are encountering?

Are you on the latest BIOS?

I doubt it, would resetting CMOS reset BIOS version? Though, to be honest I don't think I've ever flashed my BIOS to update it, never learned how to do it. Could old BIOS lead to higher temperatures?

You did not mention storage, so if not using an SSD, startup will take longer, and, naturally the two or three minutes or so of WIndows' startup is often quite busy, with Windows launching several applications such as DropBox, One Drive, perhaps a startup Defender scan, etc....; additionally, it will check for/install any pending updates if allowed to ...

Why/how your temps would be noticeably higher with three modules instead of four is a pure mystery, however...(We could suspect /speculate that having more than 2 modules installed causes a slightly higher RAM voltage to be applied in anticipation of the RAM voltage load being increased, and, that 'only' 3 modules might end up with slightly more voltage than needed due to lesser load?

I'd also install/run HWMonitor to check you core temps while running CPU-Z or Prime95 v26.6 stress tests, as liquid cooling pumps often degrade in effectiveness after a few years...