Question Does cooled overclocking affect gpu lifespan

Status
Not open for further replies.

sledx1

Commendable
Dec 8, 2018
I want to oc my gpu ,1080 founders edition, but will my gpu lose lifespan even if it is cooled to below 65 Celsius

I want to oc my gpu ,1080 founders edition, but will my gpu lose lifespan even if it is cooled to below 65 Celsius
That's not an easy question to answer, there's just way to many variables and I doubt anyone could say with any certainty. Things you'd have to know include....

Overclocked how far? Lifespan relative to what? relative to not being cooled below 65C? relative to not overclocking at all but operating at 80C or above? Are you over-volting to the point of punching through oxides? is the current through the GPU extremely high? (cooling might lower temperature, but current also affects lifespan)

By the way, all semiconductors degrade in operation. Just turning it on makes your card 'lose lifespan', and playing games makes it lose it faster even if not overclocked.

Last edited:
Reactions: Phaaze88
Will it shorten its lifespan?
Yes but unless you go crazy on voltage the card will most likely be obsolete before it dies.
Both my 1070s run 1984-2012 mhz depending on work unit for folding. No voltage increase needed on either. One is an ASUS DUAL. the other EVGA SC.
Both have run 24/7/365 100% load for the last 2 years. That equates to at least 5-6 years of gaming if you game 8 hours every day.
Folding is much harder on a card than any game.
Before that I used 650TI boosts @1200mhz ( still have one in wife's computer) and before that GTX 460s@850mhz.( and still have one in nephews computer for minecraft)
I did lose a pair of 460s from a lightning strike that took out quite a few things in the house, but have never killed a card overclocking it.
If done properly and cooled properly the risk is minimal.

sledx1

Commendable
Dec 8, 2018
That's not an easy question to answer, there's just way to many variables and I doubt anyone could say with any certainty. Things you'd have to know include....

Overclocked how far? Lifespan relative to what? relative to not being cooled below 65C? relative to not overclocking at all but operating at 80C or above? Are you over-volting to the point of punching through oxides? is the current through the GPU extremely high? (cooling might lower temperature, but current also affects lifespan)

By the way, all semiconductors degrade in operation. Just turning it on makes your card 'lose lifespan', and playing games makes it lose it faster even if not overclocked.
Will it shorten its lifespan?
Yes but unless you go crazy on voltage the card will most likely be obsolete before it dies.
Both my 1070s run 1984-2012 mhz depending on work unit for folding. No voltage increase needed on either. One is an ASUS DUAL. the other EVGA SC.
Both have run 24/7/365 100% load for the last 2 years. That equates to at least 5-6 years of gaming if you game 8 hours every day.
Folding is much harder on a card than any game.
Before that I used 650TI boosts @1200mhz ( still have one in wife's computer) and before that GTX 460s@850mhz.( and still have one in nephews computer for minecraft)
I did lose a pair of 460s from a lightning strike that took out quite a few things in the house, but have never killed a card overclocking it.
If done properly and cooled properly the risk is minimal.

So, I run 1080 founders edition sli, and I want to overclock so I can boost FPS in modern warfare. Modern warfare doesn’t support sli so I just wanted to know if it would affect lifespan overclocking the cards.
View: https://imgur.com/a/QHGupr5

Picture of oc, will this reduce lifespan. During gaming I run 83 Celsius on one card.

Apr 9, 2020
Start with this, set everything back to default. Do a gpu stress test to see what temps you get. If your under 80°C try this:

Cpu voltage: +0
Power limit: 120
Temp limit: 85
Core clock: +100
Memory clock: +400

These settings should be good for an 1080. If the temps are acceptable and you see artifact while gaming go back on mem clock with -25 till the artifacts stop.

If you want to go further read this for a start: https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pag...verclocking_guide_with_afterburner_4_3,1.html

Remember more volt is more heat and watch those temps.

Last edited:

Neowarex

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2006
Although voltage and high temperatures will affect the lifespan, the biggest cause of GPU/CPU failures are from constant heating and cooling which will over time kill a part.

That's why if you are folding 24/7 you'll be fine because although the GPU gets hot, it will always stay at a stable temperature. If you're able to cool it well and keep it within around 20-30C from coolest to hottest then it should have almost no change in its lifespan.

However, do keep in mind that not all silicon is same but unless very high voltages, temperatures, moisture or a problematic power supply (or bad house wiring) is involved, the card should last way beyond its warranty.

Status
Not open for further replies.