[SOLVED] Does copying the memory of a hd to a new hd unistall stuff ?

ashtekaros

Reputable
Jan 29, 2019
When you copy the mory of a hd to a new hd, does this unistall all programs, ehich will lead to a necessity of reinstalling all programs ?

what im asking is if i copy the memory of an old hd to a new hd, will i have to reinstal all programs again or is the copied hd identycal in all ways to the original hd ?

thanks.

Solution
When you copy the mory of a hd to a new hd, does this unistall all programs, ehich will lead to a necessity of reinstalling all programs ?

what im asking is if i copy the memory of an old hd to a new hd, will i have to reinstal all programs again or is the copied hd identycal in all ways to the original hd ?

thanks.

No, copying a HD to other HD won't install anything on the source HD.

But if you want to make an identical copy of your HD with all program fully functional, you must use clone function, not copy.

thanks.

No, copying a HD to other HD won't install anything on the source HD.

But if you want to make an identical copy of your HD with all program fully functional, you must use clone function, not copy.

Solution

thanks.
When you copy stuff from one hdd to another the stuff is still on the source hdd.
All you have done is create a copy.
Just make sure you use copy and not move.
Most programs will not function if you try to run them from the copy.
Too much stuff is missing.

ashtekaros

Reputable
Jan 29, 2019
What, specifically, is on this drive?

If it is the current C drive (Windows), you can't just copy/paste to a new one and expect it to work.

Details, please.

if i for example, clone my hd memoryu to a new had. will i have to , for example, reinstall all programs such as the games:, or the programs will still be functional and no reinstallation is necessary ? thats what i am asking.

USAFRet

Titan
if i for example, clone my hd memoryu to a new had. will i have to , for example, reinstall all programs such as the games:, or the programs will still be functional and no reinstallation is necessary ? thats what i am asking.
'cloning' is different than 'copying'.

A clone is the entirety of the source drive, cloned to a new drive. Windows, applications, data, everything.
Done correctly, it generally works.

But you can't just select and copy/paste.
There are specific procedures and applications to do it.

So...details.
What is the source drive?
What is the target drive? (size/make/model)
How much data is consumed on the source?
What OS?

mamasan2000

Distinguished
BANNED
When you install a program on Windows, most of them write data to the registry and perhaps Appdata, besides Program Files. The programs that don't do that are called 'portable'. The config file etc ends up in the same folder as the program. You can just copy that folder and it will be fine. That is like 1% of programs.

I'm not really into cloning drives but Clonezilla should work. There are other programs around to clone drives. I've used Aomei Partition Assistant. Moved/migrated Windows install to SSD, once. Aomei Backupper could possible also work for cloning. https://www.aomeitech.com/products.html Free versions should suffice.

popatim

Titan
I think the idea is to skip going to another HDD and moving on to an SSD. The cloning procedure will be the same and you'll end up with what amounts to a more responsive system just because the files are now loading much faster.

The reason you cannot just highlight everything you see on the source HD and paste it in the new HD is that the File Explorer itself isn't fully compatible with Windows. It will crash on file paths that are too long as well as miss all the hidden folders that reside there, such as your appdata folder. Yes there are other file utilities you can use but at that point, just clone the danged thing.

Cloning is simple easy and fast.

ashtekaros

Reputable
Jan 29, 2019
I think the idea is to skip going to another HDD and moving on to an SSD. The cloning procedure will be the same and you'll end up with what amounts to a more responsive system just because the files are now loading much faster.

The reason you cannot just highlight everything you see on the source HD and paste it in the new HD is that the File Explorer itself isn't fully compatible with Windows. It will crash on file paths that are too long as well as miss all the hidden folders that reside there, such as your appdata folder. Yes there are other file utilities you can use but at that point, just clone the danged thing.

Cloning is simple easy and fast.

another thing. i have original windows 7 in the older hd that i own. will i have to buy another original windows or the cloning will work in the new hd on regards to windows ?