[SOLVED] Does CPU make any difference in web browsing?

Solution
single thread speed does. anything at or above 2k passmark would be good. using a SSD makes a lot of things snappy. 8GB ram minimum.

pihole can help quite a bit by blocking a lot of stuff and also using the cloudflare DNS.

Wolfshadw

Titan
No. Unless you're running a very bottom of the line processor (like an old atom), it shouldn't make a difference for just normal web browsing. Biggest factors there are going to be internet connection speeds (poor wifi connections) and low RAM amounts (takes a lot of memory to load images, videos, etc...).

-Wolf sends

Reactions: leon226

leon226

Reputable
May 23, 2015
I have i5 8400 and Chrome uses 20% of my cpu, sometimes total cpu usage spikes to 50%, I want to buy a long battery life laptop but scared of cpu making my multiple tabs chrome slow or freeze my laptop, like I had with cheap laptop before.

hftvhftv

Distinguished
Ambassador
I have i5 8400 and Chrome uses 20% of my cpu, sometimes total cpu usage spikes to 50%, I want to buy a long battery life laptop but scared of cpu making my multiple tabs chrome slow or freeze my laptop, like I had with cheap laptop before.
What laptop are you considering buying? You can get enterprise-grade laptops that have very high capacity batteries with high performance hardware, or ultra low power laptops that won't drain a battery very fast.