Does ddr5 graphics card run/work on ddr4 mother?

ahsannh18

Prominent
Mar 10, 2018
I have a ddr4 motherboard. I am buying a gtx 1050ti g1 gaming gpu (ddr5).Can my ddr4 motherboard support that ddr5 rgraphics card?

Solution
I know they don't teach logic in schools anymore, but did you really think they'd sell out of all the DDR5 GPUs they can make, if nobody can use them because there are no DDR5 motherboards yet?

I have the first DDR5 graphics card, which came out 10 years ago back in 2008. Back then, everybody used DDR2 motherboards and I assure you that nobody would've bought such GPUs if they had to wait 11 years until 2019 to plug them into DDR5 motherboards.

Besides, GDDR5 is not the same as DDR5.

4745454b

Titan
The GPU has it's own memory controller, so ram type on the card doesn't matter. For years boards ran DDR2, while GPUs ran DDR3. Or boards ran DDR3 while GPUs ran (g)DDR5. Because the GPU has it's own memory controller it simply doesn't matter. As Robert said, make sure the slot type matches/is compatible.

I know they don't teach logic in schools anymore, but did you really think they'd sell out of all the DDR5 GPUs they can make, if nobody can use them because there are no DDR5 motherboards yet?

I have the first DDR5 graphics card, which came out 10 years ago back in 2008. Back then, everybody used DDR2 motherboards and I assure you that nobody would've bought such GPUs if they had to wait 11 years until 2019 to plug them into DDR5 motherboards.

Besides, GDDR5 is not the same as DDR5.

Solution