Question Does dye thats been added to De-ionised water make it conductive?

Steveyf

Reputable
Mar 28, 2015
Had a pump failure. Ok no biggie swapped onto backup pump until i have the time for maintenance. a load of air rushing through the pump on restart system switched off then switched on then off before i finally hit the kill switch. Thought strange maybe overheating maybe psu. Tested PSU was fine. Connected back up Mobo lights illuminate and go off but system wont power up.. Start trying to fault find and then i noticed at some point i sprung a leak.... So everything is off at the moment and i will strip out all too dry clean and hopefully salvage.

Just want to know ideally what the chances of survival is, I am using De-ionised water but its dyed with xspc EC6 Re-colour fluid. Which i think is non conductive but i can not find any details to say whether it is or not.

Once i get everything out tomorrow. Cleaned and given time to dry my question will be answered but just trying to get expectation of what the damage potentially is going to be.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Depends on the leak. Where it was, did it spray the mobo or any other component, did it just dribble etc. So you won't know the extent of possibility until you figure out the area of affect.

Dye won't affect anything, it's just color. Pastels are a different story altogether, especially when it comes to pump longetivity. But dyes, no worries.

Steveyf

Reputable
Mar 28, 2015
Judging by the area of the leak its around the chipset on the mobo down to the sata ports. but first i will have to take off the shield to really see. Just don't have the time tonight as between draining the loop and disassembling the table i would end up rushing to find out. Cant change whats happened and the damage wont get worse with everything turned off.

If anything if its the board that's gone its a loss but not a substantial loss. If it has shorted and taken everything with it then its going to make the eyes water. But to tell the truth, I knew the risks when i made custom loops and its had a good 2 years of use with regular checks/maintenance. Perhaps this is a sign to go back to air cooling for a bit.

I avoided pastels due to the many horror stories i had come across when making the jump too water cooled.

Gigabyte Gaming 7
nvidia 1080ti
Intel 8700k

Steveyf

Reputable
Mar 28, 2015
Things are starting to fall into place about how long this might of been going on for. I had issues on boot where for some reason the Bios would just drop the priority forcing me to manually select the boot drive.

Due to the location of the leak i wonder if this was actually the first sign of being an issue i failed to pick up on.

Curiosity got the better of me and i removed it to start soaking up most of the water before removing heat shields e.t.c

The acrylic tubing has become deformed where the external seals sit against the fitting body and these fittings were not exactly tight (hand tight only). And In retrospect the acrylic tubing on the CPU loop have no deformity. And the seals are still in good condition but almost 100% certain this is where the leak come from.

Cest la vie

Steveyf

Reputable
Mar 28, 2015
Just to end this. stripped out cleaned and tested board but no life. I don't think the board has shorted out as i should be tripping the fuse and i wouldn't get a red go light but for all intensive purposes i am writing the board off but maybe a go back too later.

Cant test cpu until i get a new board and will test GPU on my other rig later.

bright side i get to make a new project (always a silver lining

TRENDING THREADS