[SOLVED] Does Ethernet speed drop if its going through a router

Mar 20, 2019
I don't get internet in my room but there's a plug in the wall connected downstairs and I'm currently just plugging in my Ethernet from there directly to my PC. I would also like to have WiFi and not just a connection to my PC for my phone to connect to, currently I am just using my phone's data. I am planing on getting one of those combos of a router and modem like the ones you get from the internet provider then I'm plugging my PC through there, does this affect the speed of my internet or should I just continue doing what I am doing right now? We already have a modem and router combo for the house and I think its one of those that connect even if you have multiple of them, does this mean I can only use those or do I get to chose what router/modem to get?

Solution
Does a router give me wireless access? that is what I need and I thought only modems give wireless access. And do I need to get a brand that is already like the rest of the routers in the house or can I get another company and that wouldn't affect my network?
Most home routers are wired and wireless devices. You don't have to get the same brand. For low cost and easy configurability, a used Asus RT-AC68U is a good choice. Sold on E-bay in good condition for around $50 - $60. Asus routers have an easy to use toggle feature that converts them to access point mode.

kanewolf

Titan
If you can plug your PC into the wall port, then you DON'T want a modem/router combo. You want JUST a router. If you want to access any of the devices already connected to the home network, you need to configure that router as an access point.

Your router will provide wired speeds equivalent to what you get today if you get a router with gigabit ethernet ports (most new routers are gigabit).

Mar 20, 2019
If you can plug your PC into the wall port, then you DON'T want a modem/router combo. You want JUST a router. If you want to access any of the devices already connected to the home network, you need to configure that router as an access point.

Your router will provide wired speeds equivalent to what you get today if you get a router with gigabit ethernet ports (most new routers are gigabit).
Does a router give me wireless access? that is what I need and I thought only modems give wireless access. And do I need to get a brand that is already like the rest of the routers in the house or can I get another company and that wouldn't affect my network?

kanewolf

Titan
Most home routers are wired and wireless devices. You don't have to get the same brand. For low cost and easy configurability, a used Asus RT-AC68U is a good choice. Sold on E-bay in good condition for around $50 - $60. Asus routers have an easy to use toggle feature that converts them to access point mode.

Solution
Mar 20, 2019
Thank you very much for the help I really appreciate it!