Question Does every curved monitor suffer from backlight issues?

u700

Commendable
Feb 21, 2019
I'm trying to buy a monitor for gaming. I've tried several ones so far, and every single curved monitor had backlight issues.

I tried these curved ones:
AOC C32G1 - clouded screen
Bought second AOC C32G1 - again clouded screen
Acer XZ321Q - clouded screen and edge backlight bleed

Then I tried a flat AOC Q3279VWFD8, and it had none of those issues.

Does this mean curved monitors are inherently inferior and prone to backlight problems?

Also, I've never seen any backlight issues on flat TVs either. My 10-year old Samsung TV has no backlight issues at all. My wife's TV is the absolute cheapest bargain basement LCD TV, and it doesn't have any backlight problems either.

Does it mean I should just avoid curved monitors altogether?

D

Deleted member 14196

In my opinion curved LED screens are the absolute worst. You get distortions when you’re not sitting directly in front of them is my main complaint it now hearing this you have just convinced me to stay away from them forever

shemsureshot

Distinguished
May 26, 2013
I’ve had very similar experiences to you.

I’ve owned 4 curved monitors in the past and they have all had much worse back light bleed than any flat screen monitor or television (for some reason tv’s never seem to have bleeding issues or dead pixels like monitors do). I thinks it’s a quality control issue and the only way to get a good, defect free sample is if you are a reviewer, not a customer.

I would say curved monitors do suffer worse bleeding. I wouldn’t say you should avoid them all together though, maybe you could buy one when it’s on sale or with a discount code. That way when it is defective you feel less robbed and won’t decide to return it.

I personally don’t find mild to moderate back light bleed that distracting for gaming as most the action is in the middle of the screen.