Question Does every motherboard have debug sounds?

Jan 19, 2023
You know, when there is a CPU issue motherboard beeps 5 times, when there is a RAM issue it beeps 4 times. I wonder if all mobos have that debugging thing. One more question- do you need to plug a speaker in order to get that sound?

Jan 19, 2023
Yes, all mobo's have those sounds. They are called "beep codes", the number of beeps identifying the problem.

Yes, you will need a speaker if there isn't one already installed on the motherboard. There is usually a a header that accepts a socket for the speaker.
I heard something on forums that it doesn't beep if you have enabled fastboot.

I'll buy a second hand motherboard, RAM and a CPU. I want to know how can I troubleshoot if something goes wrong. For example, if I get a black screen without POST, let's say that it's a CPU issue (I guess you can recognize it via sounds if it's a CPU or RAM issue) I couldn't access BIOS so i couldn't disable fastboot too.

Jan 19, 2023
Yes, all mobo's have those sounds. They are called "beep codes", the number of beeps identifying the problem.

Yes, you will need a speaker if there isn't one already installed on the motherboard. There is usually a a header that accepts a socket for the speaker.
I can get that sound by just plugging a speaker into it's regular green hole right?

I can get that sound by just plugging a speaker into it's regular green hole right?
No.
There are specific pins on motherboard, where to connect pc_beeper.
"Regular green hole" requires drivers to operate. Those are loaded with windows.

51UbVWj7zLL.jpg

Reactions: yiitia