Question does fake CPUs appear on online store pretty often?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Well, there have been instances of this caliber before:
User has a 9600K. Orders a 9900K, and delids both cpus.
Swaps the tops, contacts CS about a DOA, or non-working cpu, and requests a refund.
Proceeds to return the 9600K with the 9900K lid on it.
'Acquires' 9900K for 200USD.

Fakes seem to come in waves normally, lately being IHS swapped processors described above.
If its a reputable retailer you shouldnt have any issue, and on the rare chance you did, they would replace it.
The problem with working fakes is by the time you figure it out, it will be too late to return it. My x5460 processors didn't pass an intel validation program I found out about only a few years later--seller is long gone with my money. :(

If you catch a fake or a problem early enough, most resellers dealing in fakes are quick to refund and make you happy so you'll not make any trouble.

The problem with working fakes is by the time you figure it out, it will be too late to return it. My x5460 processors didn't pass an intel validation program I found out about only a few years later--seller is long gone with my money. :(

If you catch a fake or a problem early enough, most resellers dealing in fakes are quick to refund and make you happy so you'll not make any trouble.
With the common scam of IHS swapping its going to be very obvious when your core count and clock speeds are all wrong. Let alone performance.

With the common scam of IHS swapping its going to be very obvious when your core count and clock speeds are all wrong. Let alone performance.
Solder-on IHS, as AMD does with Ryzen, make swapping them very risky if not impossible for damage to either or both processors.

I think the most common 'fake' isn't a fake at all but selling a tray processor. To be sure you do get a good processor (usually) but you don't get warranty. Only too many on-line sellers don't inform you of what you're getting and yet charge full retail even showing a picture of a boxed processor.

Solder-on IHS, as AMD does with Ryzen, make swapping them very risky if not impossible for damage to either or both processors.

I think the most common 'fake' isn't a fake at all but selling a tray processor. To be sure you do get a good processor (usually) but you don't get warranty. Only too many on-line sellers don't inform you of what you're getting and yet charge full retail even showing a picture of a boxed processor.
Well, getting scammed by a retailer advertising incorrectly isnt exactly a fake processor. Hence the need for reputable sellers.