[SOLVED] Does firestick work with a 2009 Samsung HDTV with HDMI port?

emitfudd

Reputable
Apr 9, 2017
I really can't find a straight answer for this. I have no idea if my Samsung LN46A650 is HDCP compliant or not. Does anybody know for sure if a firestick works with an older tv. Some say any tv with HDMI ports is compatible. Some say it has to be year such and such to be compatible.

emitfudd

Reputable
Apr 9, 2017
I bought a fire TV stick 4k figuring it was only $35 and I could return it if it didn't work. It works perfectly. It is able to turn my 2009 tv on and off. It is able to control my 2000 Yamaha receiver on and off. I am able to watch shows in Dolby digital. The whole reason I bought it is because some of the CBS shows have gone strictly to Paramount plus and Dish is having one of their ridiculous local station blackouts. I had hooked up an OTA antenna to watch CBS and it was driving me nuts being tethered to my tv waiting for a commercial to come on to grab a beer or take a leak. Haven't had to do that in years. It has a separate Paramount plus app but it was even easier for me to link it to Amazon Prime so I didn't have to create a separate account with Paramount. It bills the monthly fee to my Amazon card. Pretty simple. The best part is that my 2009 Samsung tv seems to have the HDCP compatibility that I was willing to bet it didn't.

emitfudd

Reputable
Apr 9, 2017
I bought a fire TV stick 4k figuring it was only $35 and I could return it if it didn't work. It works perfectly. It is able to turn my 2009 tv on and off. It is able to control my 2000 Yamaha receiver on and off. I am able to watch shows in Dolby digital. The whole reason I bought it is because some of the CBS shows have gone strictly to Paramount plus and Dish is having one of their ridiculous local station blackouts. I had hooked up an OTA antenna to watch CBS and it was driving me nuts being tethered to my tv waiting for a commercial to come on to grab a beer or take a leak. Haven't had to do that in years. It has a separate Paramount plus app but it was even easier for me to link it to Amazon Prime so I didn't have to create a separate account with Paramount. It bills the monthly fee to my Amazon card. Pretty simple. The best part is that my 2009 Samsung tv seems to have the HDCP compatibility that I was willing to bet it didn't.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS