Does free Win10 upgrade the product key or just the OS on that one system?

Denyzn

Honorable
Nov 29, 2013
I have a full copy of windows 7 home that I am not using on any PCs at the moment.

My question is, should I install it on a computer and go through the windows 10 upgrade while it's still free. Will this change my win7 product key into a win10 key for possible later use?

Rabmac

Reputable
Nov 29, 2015
As far as I am aware, upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10 (you will get Windows 10 home edition based on your Windows 7 version) converts your key to a windows 10 one. However, it is possible to go back as long as you do so within 1 month, after that I believe you are stuck with Windows 10.

WHen you upgrade to Windows 10 you are not given your product key but you can use tools to find it. Produkey should do the trick: http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/product_cd_key_viewer.html

That being said you don't need the product key if you reinstall Windows 10 on the exact same PC because it will register the OS when the installation completes.

Denyzn

Honorable
Nov 29, 2013
So essentially if i were to "upgrade" my full copy of windows 7 it would be downgraded to an oem version of windows 10 and my full windows 7 license would be voided. What a deal ... /s

Thank you for your answer