[SOLVED] Does FreeSync limit the FPS in a 240hz monitor when it’s enabled?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChristosPan

Reputable
Sep 21, 2015
Hello,
I am going to buy a new monitor. It’s the dell Alienware AW2518HF. It’s a 240hz FreeSync monitor.

Somewhere I read that if I enable the FreeSync in my monitor (with amd gpu) I will play on 60 FPS which means 60hz, so what’s the point of having an amd gpu when my monitor cannot play at 244hz ?

So, should I buy a Nvidia graphics card like GTX 1070 to have more FPS which means more hz and never use the monitor’s FreeSync ? Or I have to go with AMD gpu? I am confused.

Sorry for my bad English.

Solution
No, FreeSync, G-Sync or V-Sync will sync with the refresh rate of your monitor.
If you have a 60Hz monitor, it's 60FPS.
If it's 240Hz, it's 240FPS -- assuming your card can do it.

PM from OP:
saw your answer but i want to ask what happens when I enable FreeSync ? The FPS will drop down right ? Or not ? And which gpu should I buy ? NVIDIA OR AMD ?

Your FPS will "sync". Generally yes, your frame rate will 'drop down' ie be 'capped' - but for a benefit; a smoother operation.

Nvidia or AMD is an age-old debate, and the card for you depends on a variety of factors.
Currently though, Nvidia's offerings provide the best raw power on the upper end (1080TI, 2080, 2080TI etc).
In the mid-range though (RX580, Vega56, GTX 1060 etc)...

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
No, FreeSync, G-Sync or V-Sync will sync with the refresh rate of your monitor.
If you have a 60Hz monitor, it's 60FPS.
If it's 240Hz, it's 240FPS -- assuming your card can do it.

PM from OP:
saw your answer but i want to ask what happens when I enable FreeSync ? The FPS will drop down right ? Or not ? And which gpu should I buy ? NVIDIA OR AMD ?

Your FPS will "sync". Generally yes, your frame rate will 'drop down' ie be 'capped' - but for a benefit; a smoother operation.

Nvidia or AMD is an age-old debate, and the card for you depends on a variety of factors.
Currently though, Nvidia's offerings provide the best raw power on the upper end (1080TI, 2080, 2080TI etc).
In the mid-range though (RX580, Vega56, GTX 1060 etc), they offer comparable performance, with APIs and specific games favoring one over the other.

Solution
Free Sync (and GSync) will set the the monitor refresh (hz) to "match" the gpu rate (fps). But only in some conditions will it work. If the hz is 240 and the fps is 100 then Free Sync drops the hz to 100. If the hz is 120 and the fps is 150 then matching can't happen. Vertical Sync works in that situation. It matches fps with hz so a where the fps is 100 and the hz is 60, V Sync brings the fps down to 60.

ChristosPan

Reputable
Sep 21, 2015
Almost everyone says that i have to invest in AMD graphics card for this monitor but
I saw a youtuber 'Linus Tech Tips' saying that adaptive sync works between 33 -144Hz.

So i ask what's the point of buying an AMD card for my 240Hz monitor if i WILL NOT be able to play at 240Hz when Freesync is enabled?
:/
Is it better to play PUBG in 180-200 FPS with NVIDIA Card or it's better to play PUBG at 144 FPS which means 144Hz with FreeSync ON?

I am thinking i have to go with NVIDIA 1070 UNLESS there is something i don't know about the FreeSync.

Is there someone that can tell me if that AMD RADEON RX 580 would be a better option than a 1070 (Propably MSI 1070 gaming X) for this 240Hz monitor?

Thank you

FreeSync operational range depends on the monitor, but generally it's between 0 and the maximum refresh rate of the monitor (in this case, 0–240 Hz).

If your monitor is at 240 Hz, and your PC is only generating 150 FPS, you will only see 150 frames per second regardless of whether FreeSync is on or off. The extra "Hz" would just be duplicate frames anyway. FreeSync will improve the timing of these 150 frames to make them slightly smoother, and eliminate visual artifacts like tearing. It improves the smoothness of the image without any negative side effects.

ChristosPan

Reputable
Sep 21, 2015

So it's better to go with AMD graphics card?

Status
Not open for further replies.