Solution
Thanks for your reply. Actually bottlenecks are not my concern right now. My current GPU is failing (having crashes and wired artifact issues). Sadly the motherboard doesn't have any onboard display ports. So if GPU fails, I won't be able to run my PC.

Like I said, I'll be upgrading the whole system step by step let's say in 8-10 months. Target is to play games at 4k with good performance and future-proofing at least for 2-4 years. So you think this is a good investment or do you suggest otherwise?
A new gpu is a good investment for your situation.

Thing is
next gen graphics cards are less than a month away. 1/9 is the announcment and then cards will roll out through mid september to early october.
if you can live with...

Avik_b123

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2014
It should support it.

But since it only has pci-e 2.0, it will be like you only have 8 pcie gen 3 lanes, which isn't a big bottleneck, but it can make you lose a tiny bit of performance.

Thanks for your reply. Actually bottlenecks are not my concern right now. My current GPU is failing (having crashes and wired artifact issues). Sadly the motherboard doesn't have any onboard display ports. So if GPU fails, I won't be able to run my PC.

Like I said, I'll be upgrading the whole system step by step let's say in 8-10 months. Target is to play games at 4k with good performance and future-proofing at least for 2-4 years. So you think this is a good investment or do you suggest otherwise?

Thing is
next gen graphics cards are less than a month away. 1/9 is the announcment and then cards will roll out through mid september to early october.
if you can live with artifcats, or not having a pc for around a month, it would be good.

But let's say you have to get a gpu today, you said you want to go for 4k gaming, probably at 60 fps.
the 2060 super is not strong enough for that, at high-ultra settings.
the 2060 super is a very capable 1440p card, and a mid-low end 4k card.

Reactions: Avik_b123
Solution

Avik_b123

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2014

Thing is
if you can live with artifcats, or not having a pc for around a month, it would be good.

But let's say you have to get a gpu today, you said you want to go for 4k gaming, probably at 60 fps.
the 2060 super is not strong enough for that, at high-ultra settings.
the 2060 super is a very capable 1440p card, and a mid-low end 4k card.

So what do you suggest? Guess I can wait for a month. Will arrange a laptop from a friend. But thing is, will the 2060 or 2070 Super or the new next-gen cards be compatible with the motherboard I have? Because Like I said, cannot upgrade all system at once.

My full spec is the following:

CPU: AMD FX 8350
Motherboard: Gigabyte 990XA UD3
GPU: Sapphire R9 280X Dual-X 3G (Will upgrade)
Case: Cooler Master K380
PSU: Corsair RM650

So will this setup support 2060 super or 2070 super or the next-gen new cards?

So what do you suggest? Guess I can wait for a month. Will arrange a laptop from a friend. But thing is, will the 2060 or 2070 Super or the new next-gen cards be compatible with the motherboard I have? Because Like I said, cannot upgrade all system at once.

My full spec is the following:

CPU: AMD FX 8350
Motherboard: Gigabyte 990XA UD3
GPU: Sapphire R9 280X Dual-X 3G (Will upgrade)
Case: Cooler Master K380
PSU: Corsair RM650

So will this setup support 2060 super or 2070 super or the next-gen new cards?
Again, yes it will support any graphics card, as long as your power supply can give it the juice it needs, but since the pci-e slot is gen 2, it will be bottleneck a bit, and with the newer gpus, that bottleneck will probably be even bigger, but since you plan on upgrading down the line, its not a waste.

Reactions: Avik_b123