Does game speed change with CD rom speed

madmickey

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2001
I am looking at buying a new computer I am mainly interested in playing games and I am looking at buying either a 52X CD ROM or a 16X DVD with CD ROM at 40x. Is there an increase in game speed with a higher CD ROM speed?

scamtrOn

Illustrious
Nov 20, 2001
if you are buying it mainly for gaiming, then you should use nocd cracks. your games will be faster that way since you have to do a full install.

<font color=red><b><i>you</i> keep talking and i'll pretend i'm listening.</b></font color=red>

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Seriously, CD performance does not vary that much with variable speed CD-ROM Drives. I have a 56X CD-ROM drive on one of my PCs. It's not that fast (only slightly faster than my Sony DVD-ROM Drive which reads at 40X) but IT IS LOUD!! I would go with a 40X drive anyday, even if it means to sacrifice some performance because 50X+ drives are way too loud.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
indeed

the copy speed differnce between my old sony 52x and my dvd (40x) is negligible, and the dvd is alot faster to spin up, and alot quieter at full spin.

Excuse me for a moment. I need to drive my ergonomic wheely chair over a sheet of bubble wrap!

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
Whivch cd drive so do u have- I have one from Sony, and the thing is very, very silent. More silent than my 24x! And it spins up and all a lot faster than other cd drives I've seen.

NOS and a <font color=red> Ferrari </font color=red> can be fun! :cool:

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
I have a 12X Sony DVD-ROM drive. It's an excellent drive but it takes a bit longer to spin up with CD-Rs and CD-RWs than most CD-ROM drives I've seen.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

plbass

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2001
i've had two creative 52X, two acer 50X and they've both f***ed up!!!! i dunno what's wrong with my comp, the 24X doesn't have a prob. maybe it's the psu or soemthing...

note: i didn't actually buy two of each, they were from RMA.

Hey Baby, I'll install YOUR RAM, if you boot my Hard drive!