Does gaming on a PS4 when sitting 60-80 cm from tv cause myopia/nearsightness

Sep 9, 2018
Hi,
I am 20 years old and thinking of getting a Ps4 pro, if I am gaming on a ps4 pro and using
an Asus monitor 24 inch with blue light filter and I am sitting 60-80 cm away from the screen, can this cause nearsightness/myopia? What is a safe distance from a tv when gaming on a ps4 so I wont get nearsightness when playing games for a couple of hours. If I am gaming on a ps4 using an asus 24 inch monitor with blue light filter and I am sitting away 60-80 cm from the monitor, can I play games for a couple of hours without getting myopia/nearsightness?

Solution
Some places will give a range but you can't always go by that. The range should be determined by screen size and resolution or dpi. The range to view a monitor should be a distance that you can easily and comfortably read/view anything on screen. For a typical monitor, that could range from 40-80cm. The other factors that cause issues is staring at the same distance for hours. We are made to move around. Look away out a window and take breaks often.
I'm not a doctor nor an expert in vision or optics. A couple of hours probably wouldn't be an issue. I just know that I had to start wearing glasses at the age of 27 because I could no longer see far away objects like highway signs until I got right up on them. But, I worked a lot looking at a computer screen and then came home to look at a computer screen, combined probably totals 8+ hrs/day looking at a screen. It seems like I started developing that nearsightedness when I quit smoking a few months after I started that job. I honestly think it is not the same for everyone, but each person has unique circumstances that contribute.

Some places will give a range but you can't always go by that. The range should be determined by screen size and resolution or dpi. The range to view a monitor should be a distance that you can easily and comfortably read/view anything on screen. For a typical monitor, that could range from 40-80cm. The other factors that cause issues is staring at the same distance for hours. We are made to move around. Look away out a window and take breaks often.

Solution

InvalidError

Titan
For prolonged watching, you would want to be at a distance of at least the "point of vergeance" which the distance at which your eye's focus is near resting state. For typical healthy people. This distance is anywhere between 20" and 40" and in my case, it is about 35" when I have my glasses on.

InvalidError

Titan

Nothing will guarantee you won't get nearsighted, sitting distance is only one factor and making sure you don't get eye fatigue improves your odd. Even with the best intentions, simple aging may have different long-term plans at some point down the road.

ADingoAteMyBaby

Commendable
Jul 22, 2016

I'm similar. After years of gaming and sitting fairly close to the TV I became nearsighted around my mid-20s. I can't even make out faces at the supermarket unless they are within 10 feet.