Does GPT gives aches?

4sure

Honorable
Sep 19, 2013
As they say, GPT style is a must (or good) for 2TB+ capacity of hard drives.
My questions are:
1. Is it still desirable to use GPT style on hard drives with less than 2TB of capacity, taking into account only the latest operating systems?
2. I installed Windows 8.1 Enterprise x64 on a 3TB hard drive (Seagate ST3000DM001) using, of course, GPT and latest UEFI. The OS runs smoothly but when we access Disk Management Extension, the extension hangs up, it never shows the partitions on the drive. I have installed all the latest motherboard drivers without any problems. Also, any app accessing hard drive takes too much of time, example includes disk burning softwares. Out of curiosity, I installed the same OS on a 320GB hard drive (Western Digital WD3200AAJS) using GPT and, again, latest UEFI. Now the OS runs perfectly, with Disk Management Extension showing all the info. The disk burning apps takes normal time now. What may be the cause of this slowness with the 3TB disk?

4sure

Honorable
Sep 19, 2013

Thanks for reply. The 3TB HD was totally virgin when I first install Windows 8.1. Ironically, the 320GB HD had dual boot.

I'd still try the clean install and be sure that AHCI is turned on the BIOS prior to installing. I'd also run Seatools for Windows on the drive. It's possible that it's just a bad drive. Run the short DST and the long generic.

http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/item/seatools-win-master/

4sure

Honorable
Sep 19, 2013

Thanks again. The AHCI is always turned on, will try Seatools.

4sure

Honorable
Sep 19, 2013
After running tests as advised by darkbreeze, the drive comes as clean, and healthy! Still playing with it, I re-installed the same OS, now without UEFI but with 2TB+ MBR scheme. And the result: The disk performs well, with normal response time, like a breeze! Therefore I am getting prone to the conclusion that the real fault lies somewhere else, not in the disk.

Well, if you have a drive that has passed all testing and a fresh install of the OS, that pretty much only leaves the possibility of a problem with the motherboard storage controllers or drivers. Since the drive passed testing, which is unlikely if there was a problem with the storage controllers, I'm entirely uncertain as to why disk management isn't working correctly. It must be related to hardware limitations of the motherboard controllers or something, with the 3TB drive.

Or, you have a shady copy of windows which makes all kinds of crazy issues commonplace.

What is the model of the motherboard?

4sure

Honorable
Sep 19, 2013
Thanks for reply. My motherboard is ASRock 880GMH/U3S3 <http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/880GMHU3S3/>. The Windows copy is a genuine one. I have tested it on my laptop, runs speedily on it.