[SOLVED] Does Graphics card meet minimum requirements for Lightroom s/w?

Novice Mom

Reputable
Sep 8, 2019
I want to use Lightroom software to edit photographs. Lightroom minimum requirements for graphics cards indicates "Intel: Skylake or newer GPU with DirectX 12 support. " https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-cc/system-requirements.html

Can you tell me if my graphics cards meet this minimum requirement? If not, what should I purchase to upgrade. As ever, thank you.

My computer is an Acer Veriton x2631 : https://www.newegg.com/acer-veriton...iness-desktops-workstations/p/N82E16883103966

The graphic card is 'intel HD Graphics 4600, driver version 9.18.10.3220'

Note: I am ordering 4GB more ram and 1T SSD as well.

I hope this is the right thing to do. Maybe I should just purchase a new computer, but money is tight. Also, I still need to upgrade to Windows 10!

Thank you so much.

Solution
No. Your current graphics solution (Intel HD4600) does not meed the minimum specifications for Lightroom. Unfortunately, your current computer really is a limiting factor. Between the low-profile, single slot width form factor and the 220 watt power supply, you're really pushing the limits.

In order for you to be able to use the latest version of Lightroom, you would need to install something like a Geforce GT1030 graphics card. There are cards that physically fit and would meet the minimum requirements, the manufacturers recommend a larger (more wattage output) power supply for these cards. For a GT1030, they recommend at least a 300 watt power supply.

Many people report that they can get that card running on lesser power supplies...

Wolfshadw

Titan
No. Your current graphics solution (Intel HD4600) does not meed the minimum specifications for Lightroom. Unfortunately, your current computer really is a limiting factor. Between the low-profile, single slot width form factor and the 220 watt power supply, you're really pushing the limits.

In order for you to be able to use the latest version of Lightroom, you would need to install something like a Geforce GT1030 graphics card. There are cards that physically fit and would meet the minimum requirements, the manufacturers recommend a larger (more wattage output) power supply for these cards. For a GT1030, they recommend at least a 300 watt power supply.

Many people report that they can get that card running on lesser power supplies, but I won't recommend it and I'm not finding an easy power supply upgrade for you.

If you do opt for one of these cards, I'd probably look at something like this:

GIGABYTE GeForce GT 1030 GV-N1030D5-2GL Low Profile 2G Computer Graphics Card

and just as a side note, you might also need one of these:

Low Profile/Half Height Bracket HDMI + DVI + VGA for ATI Nvidia Video Graphics Card

-Wolf sends

Reactions: Novice Mom
Solution

Novice Mom

Reputable
Sep 8, 2019

Many people report that they can get that card running on lesser power supplies, but I won't recommend it and I'm not finding an easy power supply upgrade for you.

If you do opt for one of these cards, I'd probably look at something like this:

GIGABYTE GeForce GT 1030 GV-N1030D5-2GL Low Profile 2G Computer Graphics Card

and just as a side note, you might also need one of these:

Low Profile/Half Height Bracket HDMI + DVI + VGA for ATI Nvidia Video Graphics Card

-Wolf sends

Hi WolfShadw,

Thank you so very much for taking time to answer my question. I really appreciate it. I'm amazed of the help I get from such forums over the years when I need it. Just incredible.

Anyway, it seems to be getting a little pricey with all the upgrades: ~$140 for SSD + 4GB RAM, $90 for the graphics card + bracket, $100 for Windows 10. I'm already at $330 and I'm still using old technology and risking insufficient power. I'm going to see what I can get a new computer for. I'm sure there are tons of links in the forum that talks of this. I'll look around. If you know of one, point me in the right direction.

Again, thank you so much.

USAFRet

Titan
There may be a free alternative to Lightroom for you - darktable.
It is reasonably similar to the Lightroom capabilities and workflow.

I've used both.

Costs nothing to try it.
See if it works with your current system.

Novice Mom

Reputable
Sep 8, 2019
If you're looking for a newer computer on the cheap, I tend to look at Dell's Outlet. A quick search came up with these:

Dell Outlet - Intel Core I5/8GB RAM/Windows 10/DirectX 12

These are Scratch & Dents and Refurbs, but I bought a laptop from the outlet store some years back and it lasted well past it's usefulness.

-Wolf sends

Hi Wolfshadw,

I can't tell you how much I appreciate your input. I just purchased used camera equipment and lens (~$1000) and did not expect or even think about the expense of a computer upgrade to learn this new craft. I was so disappointed when I discovered the s/w was too big for my computer. Anyway, I've purchased used phones and now camera equipment and have worked out well, so this is right up my alley. Point is, money is tight so I am looking forward to investigating your suggestions further. I'll download darktable now and if needed head over to tht Dell Outlet!! You're the best Wolfshadw. I can't thank you enough.

P.S. I'm not sure how these upvotes and likes work. If there is more I can do let me know. :)

Last edited: