[SOLVED] Does Graphics card performance increase with ram?

Solution
Are you asking about system ram or graphics vram?

1. On system ram, once you have enough for the game, more does not buy you anything.
At one time, with 32 bit architecture, no game could use more than 2gb or possibly 3gb.
There are still many games built to that limitation. Then with 64 bit architecture the ability to use more than 4gb was possible.
8gb was considered as more than enough.
Today, I think 16gb is the safe amount to get.
There is no downside except for cost to buying more than you need.

2. On vram a similar concept applies.
If you have enough, you have enough.
VRAM has become a marketing issue.
My understanding is that vram is more of a performance issue than a functional issue.
A game needs to have most of the data...
Depnds on the application, if it can make use of more onboard vram for textures etc, then it doesn't need to shuffle the stuff in and out, resulting in little better performance. Gamers should be looking at 4GB minimum these days with 8GB being a comfortable level.

just in case you're talking about VRAm specifically:
1) most of games perform better with more VRAM, although it's <5% faster but it's there. Even if both cards meet the requirements of a game, the card with more VRAM will perform a bit better in most games. Proven fact.
2) if a game needs more VRAM then your GPU provides, you will suffer small performance drop.

himanshugangwal12 What's your real question? Are you considering upgrading the RAM in your current system? If so, what would the upgrade be and how much would it cost you? Also, it would be helpful if you listed all your specs, and name the main games that you play. I'd like to see you get the most out of your upgrade dollars.

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador

Only if you dont have enough and its limiting performance.

If you already have 8gb for example, adding more will not do much to performance.

Also, it matters if its the component limiting performance.

If you have say a core 2 duo with 4gb of ram and a GT 610. Adding more ram will not make any difference to gaming performance as the cpu and graphics card are the bottleneck.

Aug 15, 2018

I am having my g41mt Mobo with and r5 r30 1gb 6gb ddr3 ram and core 2 quad q6600 will it give a good gaming performance?

Are you asking about system ram or graphics vram?

1. On system ram, once you have enough for the game, more does not buy you anything.
At one time, with 32 bit architecture, no game could use more than 2gb or possibly 3gb.
There are still many games built to that limitation. Then with 64 bit architecture the ability to use more than 4gb was possible.
8gb was considered as more than enough.
Today, I think 16gb is the safe amount to get.
There is no downside except for cost to buying more than you need.

2. On vram a similar concept applies.
If you have enough, you have enough.
VRAM has become a marketing issue.
My understanding is that vram is more of a performance issue than a functional issue.
A game needs to have most of the data in vram that it uses most of the time.
Somewhat like real ram.
If a game needs something not in vram, it needs to get it across the pcie boundary
hopefully from real ram and hopefully not from a hard drive.
It is not informative to know to what level the available vram is filled.
Possibly much of what is there is not needed.
What is not known is the rate of vram exchange.
Vram is managed by the Graphics card driver, and by the game. There may be differences in effectiveness between amd and nvidia cards.
And differences between games.
Here is an older performance test comparing 2gb with 4gb vram.
http://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Video-Card-Performance-2GB-vs-4GB-Memory-154/
Spoiler... not a significant difference.
A more current set of tests shows the same results:
http://www.techspot.com/review/1114-vram-comparison-test/page5.html

And... no game maker wants to limit their market by
requiring huge amounts of vram. The vram you see will be appropriate to the particular card.

I might add that if you are modding a game, you may not be using vram as well as the game developers.
In that case, more might be better.

Solution

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador

Adding more ram wont improve anything. A better graphics card and psu that can supply enough power would be the best upgrade.

Depends on how you define good gaming performance... On new games, not really, on games made 10 years ago? Yeah not too bad.

You may well be limited by your Q6600 processor.

Try this test:
Run YOUR games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more cpu limited.