Does gtx1060 6gb fit my old pc? or my pc won't handle?

madeforgames616

Prominent
Aug 29, 2017
So this are my specs from a 2012 pc :

motherboard: Alienware 046MHW version PCI-Express
CPU: Intel core i7 - 2600K
RAM : 8GB
HDD hard drive 1TB / no SSD
current GPU: amd radeon HD 6950
What I wanted to know is, will a gtx 1060 6GB be worth to this processor and RAM? Or is it overkill ? And if you think it's too much what would you recommend?
Thanks for the answers!

Solution

You may also want to consider adding an additional 8GB of RAM if you can swing it. An SSD for your boot drive is also another very noticeable upgrade.

EDIT: I am thinking of general performance and not specifically only about gaming
First off, why do you want to upgrade? What is it you hope to gain over the HD 6950? This might seem like a dumb question, but what card you buy really depends on what you plan to do with it. It's possible a card like a 1050 Ti might be enough, and it's possible a card like a 1060 might not be enough. It doesn't make sense to spend money on a card unless it can deliver what you need, and you don't want to spend more than you need to either.

The other consideration is the motherboard bios. Do you have a UEFI bios? If not, that might be an issue. Your system could get good use from a 1060 at 1080p, that's not a problem.

madeforgames616

Prominent
Aug 29, 2017

Hi, thanks for the answer, I want to upgrade because some games with heavy visuals, like Playerunknown battlegrounds or others, are lagging me hard with any definition above "Very Low" and even there I get some stutter moving the camera. It's not a dumb question, I don't know much about pc components aand a friend that knows more about it told me that probably a better graphics card would help Since mine doesnt seem to reach the requirements.
Also, no, I think it is running legacy. But how should that affect the performance?

madeforgames616

Prominent
Aug 29, 2017

Yes that was one of the things I was afraid of since the processor is like 5 or 6 y.o. despite being very good at that time, things advance very fast in this area :)

HamBown81

Commendable
Aug 3, 2017

You may also want to consider adding an additional 8GB of RAM if you can swing it. An SSD for your boot drive is also another very noticeable upgrade.

EDIT: I am thinking of general performance and not specifically only about gaming

Solution