[SOLVED] Does H61M-K supports multiple GPU's working via risers at the same time?

Jul 22, 2020
Hello.
I've been thinking of getting an RTX 3060 Ti next to my GTX 1050 Ti, However, I've got the issue of limited budget and crazy high prices for everything currently.

So I thought of Using my old Motherboard (H61M-K) to run These 2 GPUs at the same time , Luckily It has 3 PCI-e Slots.

I've looked around if the board could support 2 working GPU's at the same time but with left with confusion, It says it doesn't support multiple GPUs but how come it has 3 PCI-e Slots?

I'm rookie in these type of stuff So maybe there is something I'm missing?

Solution
  • You cannot officially SLI different graphics cards to gain any extra performance.
  • The 3060ti is not going to be stressed by simply having another monitor, assuming you are only gaming on one monitor.
  • Your platform is a decade old. A 3060ti will probably be held back by even the best CPUs compatible with your motherboard, even at higher resolutions. Additionally, if you use a 2nd generation CPU you will be limited to PCIe 2.0 ONLY, which could further impact performance negatively
  • Using a riser like that would limit the bandwidth available down to 1x, which is crippling to performance.
All in all, I would consider upgrading more than just the GPU, and I would completely remove the 1050ti when you do upgrade.
Jul 22, 2020
It will, only at pcie x1 speed. No good for gaming

Are you sure?
I don't want to throwaway or sell my GTX 1050 Ti, Plus I already have a second TV/monitor That I was hoping to connect that GTX 1050 Ti and use it while the games are loading and to use it for smaller tasks so I wont load the 3060 ti with work.

• You cannot officially SLI different graphics cards to gain any extra performance.
  • The 3060ti is not going to be stressed by simply having another monitor, assuming you are only gaming on one monitor.
  • Your platform is a decade old. A 3060ti will probably be held back by even the best CPUs compatible with your motherboard, even at higher resolutions. Additionally, if you use a 2nd generation CPU you will be limited to PCIe 2.0 ONLY, which could further impact performance negatively
  • Using a riser like that would limit the bandwidth available down to 1x, which is crippling to performance.
All in all, I would consider upgrading more than just the GPU, and I would completely remove the 1050ti when you do upgrade.

Solution
Jul 22, 2020

My CPU isn't great, It is i5-3470 3.2ghz 4/4 but it is 3rd gen nevertheless.

That's the thing, I'm getting the 3060 ti next week or so, But I won't have enough money to upgrade my build.

If I'm going to upgrade, I must upgrade to something that is safe for 5 years or so.

Which means I'll have to get a high end motherboard, CPU and PSU, in short a whole new PC.

But I was hoping my current build will work just fine until I get enough money to get a new build.

Though I could Connect my 3060 ti to the motherboard directly via x16 PCI-e to lessen the impact of an old build.

Now I'm thinking about it, I'll probably use 3060 ti for gaming and use 1050 ti for bitcoin mining via riser.

Will a GPU's mining capability also crippled if I used x1 PCI-e slot to riser? So far according to my google research, Mining only cares about power and using x1 PCI-e slot wont hinder or cripple it.
Will my Motherboard have no problem with that? or it will set on fire? or it wont detect the 1050 Ti for mining?

Jul 22, 2020
You should have spent your money wiser, on perhaps a slightly lower end GPU and a better platform/cpu.

An i5 3470 and an RTX3060ti is not a good pairing.
Well RTX 2060 Ti/Super has more expensive price tag than 3060 ti yet worse so it is not worth it.
While 1660 Super is worse than both while having 450$ price tag.

Meanwhile RTX 3060 Ti has 600-620$ dollar price tag, Overpriced but bucks more punch for the price.

Not to mention I've already purchased the 3060 Ti because supply was limited and I was afraid that It would go up in price or goes out of stock.

If it is that bad, I'll stick to the 1050 Ti, Since my games are usually not graphic intensive (World of tanks/Dota 2 or pixel games such as Blasphemous)

Second Reason why I purchased the 3060 ti is because I wanted to be free from needing to upgrade to a better GPU for sometime.

Maybe I'll use the 1050 Ti for gaming for a month or so, And 3060 Ti for mining using the x1 PCI-e and a Riser since apperently it could give 200$ish a month and where I live that amount is higher than the minimum salary.

After a month I'll get the 200$+Money from my job+ Selling 1050 Ti, I should be able to afford a Good motherboard such Asus Z390 Prime + Core I7 9700K plus a decent PSU.

So Can my 3060 Ti be used to mine bitcoin for a month with H61M-K?

The only Problem I'm having is time and my terrible decisions, Shouldn't have rushed to purchase that gpu.

Sorry for being such a pain.

Also thanks for your time! I appreciate it!