[SOLVED] Does having 2 RAM Sticks with different "Tested Latency" make a difference?

Jul 16, 2021
My PC's current RAM Stick is 8GB and has the tested latency of "16-18-18-36". I want to buy the same RAM Stick to use my full memory size (16GB) and I've found one on corsair.com. All the specs from this site are the same as my current RAM stick specs except the tested latency. On this site, it is "16-20-20-38". Can I still use this or do I need to find the exact same specs?

Solution
Hi alexgontcho :D and Welcome to the Forum.

Do not mix RAM especially with differing Latency and frequency.(n)
Yes they may appear to work initially but you will have issues sooner or later.

You should buy a single kit the size and frequency your MB and CPU supports and selected from the MB QVL.
Running two different sticks may fail. The more they differ, the more likely it is to fail. But even if they are identical spec wise, they can still fail to work together. Only buying sticks in kit you are sure they will run fine together.

To answer directly your question, not enough data.

My PC's current RAM Stick is 8GB and has the tested latency of "16-18-18-36". I want to buy the same RAM Stick to use my full memory size (16GB) and I've found one on corsair.com. All the specs from this site are the same as my current RAM stick specs except the tested latency. On this site, it is "16-20-20-38". Can I still use this or do I need to find the exact same specs?
Ideally you want to but a 2x8GB kit. When you buy a kit, you are guaranteed that they will work together. That said you can mix different RAM modules with different sub timings. However, system stability might be an issue. If you decide to go that route you will need to manually set both sticks to the 16-20-20-38 timings to have the best chance of full stability. Overall I don't think it is worth it to do that and I would just buy a new 2x8GB kit.

JeffreyP55

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2015
When I built my latest PC I used 1 16gb DDR4 module. I dabble with a little photograph teaks like HDR. Added another 16gb module. Same brand, same specs. 6 months down the road no issues. Like said I would never mix kissing cousins.
Jeff

When I built my latest PC I used 1 16gb DDR4 module. I dabble with a little photograph teaks like HDR. Added another 16gb module. Same brand, same specs. 6 months down the road no issues. Like said I would never mix kissing cousins.
Jeff
Using the same brand and specs give the best chance of RAM working together. In my desktop I have 32GB RAM of all the same speed but different brands. However, both are 16GB kits and each kit is installed in the matching RAM slots (ie kit 1 is in both blue slots and kit 2 is in both black slots). Stability has been just fine for me. The problem you will run into is having unlike max sub timings in both blue slots for example.

TRENDING THREADS