Does having a gaming mouse really matter?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Adk_Eric

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2006
Is the MX Revolution a bad gaming mouse?

Ahh... I forgot about that one. Haven't used it myself.

Cost is $60 more than the MX518, which is a bit ridiculous I think. It also lacks some of the 518's features, notably the ability to change mouse sensitivity on the fly. This isn't a gaming mouse, nor is it advertised as such on logitech's website.

AesikNaos

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2006
I just got a Logitech G5 and its alot better than my old MS optical.
I think it makes a huge difference depending on the games you play and how into them you are.
The casual gamer might not be able to appreciate it that much but, the hardcore gamers certainly(sp?) will.
Put it this way if you play any first person shooters for say more than 7 hours in a 7day week then I believe it would be a benifit.

grtmoby

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2005
all i care about is a 3 button mouse that does not skip.
right now im using a trackball microsoft mouse

Go for the G7 and u'll never regret it dude, i have one and really no matter what else i use at any other place i never feel comfy. G7 rocks.
i have my computer on 24x7 and i use it around 6 hours a day and i replace the battery almost on two days basis. From my readings, i think battery charging stand up period is a bit of luck they are not all the same. so GOOD LUCK.

hoxlund

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2006
Logitech G5 Mouse with Logitech G15 Keyboard

Upgraded from Microsoft Natural Keyboard Pro and Logitech MX1000 Mouse

pretty big difference

i don't like the rechargeable laser mice, only because of the recharge hassle

Adk_Eric

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2006

I'm with you. I can think of very few situations I'd actually want a wireless mouse. Everyday situations, no way. Why so many want to deal with the hassle of recharging as well as having a chunk of a charger taking up room on your desk is beyond me.

Giraffe

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2004
4 me a mouse is a mouse.
as long as its laser+wireless its good enough 4 me.

i have a $10 labtec wireless optical pro mouse.
for $10(aus) it works fine and is just as good as a $200 gaming mouse 2 me.

and recharging isnt a hassle. it didnt come with a charger so i have 5$ rechargable batteries in it. they last 4-6months per charge(and thats using computer 5+hours a day).
no hassle @ all

morlad808

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2006
Hello, instead of making a new thread i'll post in this one. I have an mx700, which i love but wanted to get a "gaming" mouse. I've been looking at all the gaming mice out, logitech mice to me seem to be great and hardly any complains about them cept for the g7's battery life. I don't like the fact that the g7 is missing a button that the mx700 has, but besides that will the g7 work with my logitech KB that came with the mx700? or should i wait until logitech comes out with a new mouse that will hopefully have the missing button added. I apologize if i posted here but i don't see why a new thread should be made.
Thank you in advance!

AesikNaos

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2006
Logitech G5 Mouse with Logitech G15 Keyboard

Upgraded from Microsoft Natural Keyboard Pro and Logitech MX1000 Mouse

pretty big difference

I have the exact same Logitech set-up.
Mouse is awsome/
Keyboard is damn cool too with the LCD programmable buttons and the lights thought I havent messed with it too much yet.
Another good feature on the keyboard is the 2 usb slots on the top of it.
Very convinient.

slim142

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2006
I have a MX 1000 and personally I love it. I went from a corded, optical mouse to this 2008 mouse some time ago and I cant say anything negative about it.

Answering your questions, is not only because gaming, is because you want to feel comfortable using your computer, mouse in one of the things you will always use on the pc no matter what, so get a good one so you will feel good using your pc. Even the keyboard matters :)

gearbox

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2006
My only complaint was that if I forget to put it on the charger when it's low, I'm SOL. I thought the G7 might be an improvement, with its swappable battery packs.

But four hours?!? I'll stick with the MX1000. Having to go do something else for a while as my mouse charges, once every two months or so, is far preferable to swapping battery packs daily.
I've heard the battery life improves after a few charges, but I can't see it improving *that* much. However, if you run out of juice mid-game it takes all of 4 seconds to change batteries, and the charger is tiny. So the mouse works well for fast-paced gaming (I mostly play UT2k4, never longer than 2.5 hrs on a given night), but when I'm putting in an 8-12 hr workday at home I'll use the mx510.

Hello, instead of making a new thread i'll post in this one. I have an mx700, which i love but wanted to get a "gaming" mouse. I've been looking at all the gaming mice out, logitech mice to me seem to be great and hardly any complains about them cept for the g7's battery life. I don't like the fact that the g7 is missing a button that the mx700 has, but besides that will the g7 work with my logitech KB that came with the mx700? or should i wait until logitech comes out with a new mouse that will hopefully have the missing button added. I apologize if i posted here but i don't see why a new thread should be made.
Thank you in advance!
Perhaps the mx518 (with cord) would be right up your alley :) It's basically an improved mx510, which was already a really nice mouse.

No f*ckin way am I paying their prices, but a good idea for investigating what's available and how they feel would be to visit a Best Buy or Futureshop and check out their mice display.

morpheous_2812

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2006
4 me a mouse is a mouse.
as long as its laser+wireless its good enough 4 me.

i have a $10 labtec wireless optical pro mouse.
for $10(aus) it works fine and is just as good as a $200 gaming mouse 2 me.

and recharging isnt a hassle. it didnt come with a charger so i have 5$ rechargable batteries in it. they last 4-6months per charge(and thats using computer 5+hours a day).
no hassle @ all

I agree. Using a Logitech Cordless Optical Mouse now. (Gift from a fren) Most of the time I am happy the performance, though I rarely play FPS. Usually if I game, its usually RTS or RPG, so I do not need such high precision.

However, I usually need to recharge my batteries after a few days of usage. :x (4 to 5 days) Not sure whether its my batts fault or its a mice problem, since you seem to recharge less often than me. (Though I use my comp 10+ hrs a day, but still, I should not need to recharge so often) :?

Wondering if anyone here knows what is causing this annoyance. I could live with the constant recharging, but if there is a viable solution I wouldn't mind giving it a try.

morlad808

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2006
Perhaps the mx518 (with cord) would be right up your alley :) It's basically an improved mx510, which was already a really nice mouse.

No f*ckin way am I paying their prices, but a good idea for investigating what's available and how they feel would be to visit a Best Buy or Futureshop and check out their mice display

thnx for the reply gear, but one of my probs is i use my 42" lcd tv sometime for rts and rpg's, and regular monitor for fps, so i kinda need a cordless mouse :(

minim3

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2006
I have a mx518 (upgraded from a simple ms optical mice) for a 1,5 years now. If you are right handed it is the best way to go I think. It took about 10 days to get used to. I say it made a 10-20% difference in cs:s. I didn't bought the mx1000 cause I heard the battery dies after 2-3 years and theres no way to replace it, meaning that ur mice dies with it! eek!!!!!

I can never go back anymore. The precision is something that if you get used to, everything else seems like cr@p. The thing I don't like in g5 is that it's missing 1 button (the frwd) @ the left side.I use it a lot. Also never used more than 1300 dpi, so makes the g5's 2000 dpi a little over the top for me.

On the other note, a friend of mine hated the way mx518 looked. I personally don't care, since when I'm playing I never look at it!!! And hate mice that glow in the dark. Pretty distracting.

Giraffe

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2004
i play lots of fps games with my 10$ labtec.
infact 75+% of wat i play is fps. and i snipe aswell.
i have no problems with the mouse

Adk_Eric

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2006
i play lots of fps games with my 10$ labtec.
infact 75+% of wat i play is fps. and i snipe aswell.
i have no problems with the mouse

Ever drive a ford taurus with an automatic tansmission? Ever drive an audi A4 with a manual transmission? Yeah, they'll both get you from point A to point B, but the quality of the ride and the precision in handling are lightyears apart. The A4 can drive circles around the Taurus, just as any modern gaming mouse can scroll cricles around your $10 labtec. The A4 would zip through an obsticle course that the Taurus lagged through. My MX518 will allow me to accurately snipe your ass before you get a chance to lay a bead on me.

I can tell you from first hand experience. My gameplay got better when I got a good mouse, soley due to the fact I had more control. You're losing matches you wouldn't otherwise lose with a good mouse. That's not BS, that's the truth.

megame255

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2006
I have to agree with everyone who likes the Logitech MX518. I've had this mouse for over a year and it's the best mouse I've ever used. The size of it takes getting used to, but the 8 button control and the ability to adjust sensitivity on the fly is great.

Giraffe

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2004
I can tell you from first hand experience. My gameplay got better when I got a good mouse, soley due to the fact I had more control. You're losing matches you wouldn't otherwise lose with a good mouse. That's not BS, that's the truth.

but there is never times where i cant get it where i want fast enough or it lags or cant move in small enough increments quickly.

at an internet cafe near my house they have good gaming mice. i dont know exactly which model but it is a logitech of some sort.
i dont notice any improvement with it if anything it is worse coz i am not used 2 it.
i think watever mouse u got as long as it isnt an ancient trackball mouse will be the same 4 me. as long as u can get used to a mouse it does everything u want it 2 do.
thats my opinion @ least.

G

Hmm, thats what I thought as well, I went to this forum before, after having ordered a Razer Orochi, now that i have gotten it, my gameplay is tonnes better, and its not just me imagining it, in CS, with my old lazer mouse, i had an almost 1:1 kill, death ratio in this public server that i play in, a few weeks later, after having my new mouse, I got almost up to 2.5:1 kill death ratio, and thats hell of a difference, and without even using the extra buttons, just the usual, left and right buttons, but I guess, you do have to get used to the mouse first, dont expect a huge difference after a day or two as you'd still need to get used to it, but once you do, imho a gaming mouse makes a world of difference.

TRENDING THREADS