Does having a gaming mouse really matter?

lunky545

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2006
I'm consdering getting either the G 5 or G7 from logitech but i wanted to hear from you gamers first.

Is it a huge difference playing with a gaming mouse than your run of the mill normal mouse?

I'm big on FPS games so ive been debating if its worth the investment.

If it happens to be which would be the best bang for my buck?
(Brand doesnt matter, Logitch, Razor etc.) Wireless(RF, BlueTooth is expensive) preferred, must come with recharge.

And
How does DPI affect mouse precision?

DeathWalking

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2006
I have a G5, and I personally love it. On the other hand, one of my friends whom I badgered into getting a gaming mouse (though he chose a G7) didn't like it as much as his old M$ optical. Personal preference.

Knyte

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2006
I was the same way for ages. I LOVED my old 2 wheel, 5 button Logitech mouse (Which I bough new for $20), and saw no need for a $50+ "Gaming" mouse. Well, after my beloved mouse got ran over (long story), I had to go buy another mouse. I broke down and bought a Razor Diamondback, and talk about night & day! The pricision on this thing is insane! It took me a week just to get use to it, as with the slightest flick of the wrist I can send the pointer the full length of the screen. Now that I have one, I am never going back.

The Razors are awesome, but I am not sure if they have any wireless ones. I prefer wired devices, as I hate batteries and the headaches that can come from them, especially when gaming.

engrpiman

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2006
I have the g5 and g15(keyboard) the drivers on both work good, 100%. it took me a long time to get used to the g5 2000dpi but not that i am man i can't go back

tool_462

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2006
I had a Razer Krait for a few weeks and loved it! Made a large difference once I got used to it. Unfortunately I am a college student and lost "The Raz" as my roomate named it for some reason, to a horrible beer spill accident. It still clicks and all that, just struggles to move. Truly a sad sad story... :cry:

tool_462

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2006
Trackball...
My grandmother is the only one I have seen use one...

Aristotle would agree by me saying...

You use a trackball mouse.
My grandmother is the only one I have seen use one.
You must be my grandmother! 8O

Just messin with ya, never thought of trying a trackball for FPS games. May be nice if you got used to it.

hball

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2006
A gaming mouse is very important for me. I bought a Logitech G5 and perhaps I got a bad one. Playing BF2, I snipe a lot and one of the tricks to sniping is to hold the button down even after the shot is off (think it's the equivalent of squeezing the trigger) for accuracy. However, it's very sensitive and it doesn't seem to stay pressed down. The on-the-fly sensitivity (I think) is a must for sniping to get the lowest resolution so you can move your sights very slowly on those long shots.

I have also used the Razer Diamondback and it glides across my gaming surface like silk. The fire button is very hair trigger though and many times I fire off a shot accidentally. Also, I found the on-the-fly sensitivity to be glitchy and didn't work; though, that could have been the drivers.

The Logitech 518 Gamer's mouse is the cheapest of the three mice and I am personally in love with this mouse. It has extra buttons on the mouse so I can use one for Push to Talk (Ventrilo) to talk with my clan members while playing and coordinate attacks better. The on-the-fly sensitivity works the best for me. The highest setting when in a tank so I can rotate the turret quickly when somebody is running up to plant C4 on the tank, and the lowest sensitivity for getting the crosshairs on somebody when making long sniper shots.

Oh, the DPI just assures that any movement by your mouse gets translated into movement of the cursor. The higher the DPI, the more accurate and less lost movement.

hball

carpcmelee

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
umm its day and night as someone said. I had a logitech mx 300, then a wireless mx 600. Thought these mouses were the bomb. I was like pwning it up in cs:S. Then my frien got an mx518, and I tried it. omg, i went like killing spree with a deagle. Nuff said.

Adk_Eric

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2006
I'm consdering getting either the G 5 or G7 from logitech but i wanted to hear from you gamers first.

Is it a huge difference playing with a gaming mouse than your run of the mill normal mouse?

I'm big on FPS games so ive been debating if its worth the investment.

If it happens to be which would be the best bang for my buck?
(Brand doesnt matter, Logitch, Razor etc.) Wireless(RF, BlueTooth is expensive) preferred, must come with recharge.

And
How does DPI affect mouse precision?

A gaming mouse makes all the difference in the world. I recommend the logitech 518. It's less expensive than the laser mice and has more features. The laser mice have 2000 dpi vs the 518's 1600 dpi but I can tell you from experience you're not going to need more than 1600 dpi. The 518 is extremely precise and sensitve.

I'd recommend that mouse to anyone, and not just gamers. The adjustable sensitivity is useful in the desktop environment as well, not just games. The 518 also has more buttons than the Logitech lasers. Seriously. Get the 518, you'll be happy you did.

Robovski

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2006
Optical has it all over mechanical for mice, but I experimented with a "el cheapo" laser mouse (1600dpi) I got for £9 because it had 2 buttons and a wheel and fit the look of the rest of the machine. I figured if it was crap, I'd keep it for a spare or whatever.

It works great. I don't need 52 button on my mouse. Sure, there are things that could be better, like it could have more weight to it or it could change the dpi on the fly (it doesn't) but I'm enjoying the push of my fingers moving me across the full 1400x900 display. I'm a finger user, so broad movements were never my thing - so it works for me.

Mice are a very personal thing though. While I think it's light (and I'm considering opening it up and fitting some weights) someone else may like that it's light. It's really not a hand user's mouse though. It's not ergonomically fitted for your hand, and it has a brushed aluminum shell, and extra traction sides (where my fingers make contact). Plenty of people will think that's not for them. They want it to fit thier palm, have comfortable surfaces, and so on. Like anyone considering thier mouse beyond simply having a mouse, the best thing you can do is try a few out at the store. Before this you may not even have realized that there is more than one way to use a mouse.

ryokinshin

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2006
find one u like, gaming or not, that dosnt matter. gaming mice usually jus mean more features, i hav a razer diamonbak and the way u move the mouse and the 7 buttons on it i like, it is also a very light one ala optical 1600dpi

ara

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2005
personally, i have a specific logitech mouse i like (it's actually rather unknown, but i just call it a mini mouse) it's very basic with 2 buttons and a scroller, i love these so much that i have purchased a total of about 4, 1 has failed (which was my fault) in my whole experience with them (5+ years) and they are rather accurate for my useage (games..)

mice that i don't like (i don't know why) are ones which are designed to be ergonomic... i find those too "perfect" and do not fit my useage style (2 fingers on 2 buttons, with one of them moving for the scroller when required. As compared to the design of these mice which require a finger on the scroller and 2 other fingers on the two buttons at all times in a way so that the pinky rests on a special groove, which my style requires 2 fingers space there... i'm wierd.)

Ara

jediswimmer

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2006
I have some experience with the G5 and compared to a normal optical mouse, it is amazing...

Then i tried the Razor Diamondback and.... WOW 8O the difference was amazing...

Now they are both "similar" but the Razor company has been in the market with gaming mice for a long time. And have they done this one right, Gold plated USB plug, always on sensor, 7 ft cord, teflon feet, on the fly sensitivity...

But i guess do you want a corded mouse? or a wireless? personal preference on that one.

Woot.com just had the Diamondbacks for 25 bucks, so you can probably find a few online somewhere for around 30-40, if not cheaper

sailer

Splendid
Try to use some demos at a computer store. Some people think gaming mice are great, others can't tell the difference, or worse, find that the gaming mice are too sensitive. A high DPI likewise may be a help or hinderance, depending on your style. I got a new Logitech to replace my old MS mouse and found that it wasn't that much better, at least for me. Oh yeah, if you ever suffer from a twitch while using a super mouse, your aiming will be a disaster.

As for all the extra buttons and programability, if you're really deep into gaming and setting up all the individual options, then they're worth it. Otherwise, you've spent a lot of money for nothing.

As for trackballs, they have their uses, but not for serious gaming. I have one on my office computer and it has worked fine for years. In fact, its the longest lived mouse, or pointer if you prefer, that I've ever owned. But it is hard on the arthritc fingers as well.

lunky545

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2006
i would love to have a wireless. I have a wireless optical right now but on rare occasion i find myself outta juice in teh middle of a Warhammer 40K Winter Assault match or battlefield 2 firefight. Though its rare i dont really get a huge benefit from using wireless. If someone could tell me if something is happening in the mouse world anytime soon maybe ill wait till that comes out

MegaManExtreme2005

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2006
Speaking of gaming mice.How well do u guys think my current mouse will perform.It's a logitech Cordless pilot mouse which is optical by the way.Which wireless mouse do you recommend out of the 3 options:MX1000,G7 or MX610.

I was also considering getting myself a cordless desktop with keyboard and mouse.Do these perform well in games or should I avoid these things?

Any info will be helpful,thanx. 8)

Dahak

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
yes a gaming mouse is a good investment,but not a necessary one as a good quality optical mouse performs just as well.the gaming headlines are put on things to interest gamers and it gives the manufacturer a reason to charge more for specialized equipment.you may very well see some marked improvement from it,but not likely.anyways your choice.googluck.

Dahak

EVGA NF4 SLI MB
X2 4400+@2.4 S-939
2 7800GT'S IN SLI MODE
2X1GIG DDR400 MEMORY IN DC MODE
WD300GIG HD
520WATT PSU
EXTREME 19IN.MONITOR

gearbox

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2006
Yesssssssssssssssssssss

I went from a rollerball to a MS optical to a mx510 to a G7, with noticable improvement each time.

The G7 is like buttery plastic wireless sex..... but battery life yields about 4 hours of use, so if you go that route make sure you always have the backup in the charger :)

HA_ZEE

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2006
I use the Logitech MX518 and found it to be awesome. It has on the fly adjustments and very good ergonomics. I used a G7 for awhile but found it had to much lag in FPS games to be effective (it is cordless).

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
I have the G5 mouse and my gaming performance have increased. I have better aiming and precision with this gaming mouse. Also I can adjust mouse sensitivity on the fly to compensate for long range sniping shots. Using it for Return to Castle Wolfenstien, Counter Strike: Source, Day of Defeat, Call of Duty 2, Quake 4, FEAR and BF2.

rsquared

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2005
...battery life yields about 4 hours of use, so if you go that route make sure you always have the backup in the charger

I have a Logitech MX1000, and it is quite awesome, especially with Hyperglide feet on an Ulti-mat. It tracks beautifully, has no lag that I notice, and the battery lasts for days.

My only complaint was that if I forget to put it on the charger when it's low, I'm SOL. I thought the G7 might be an improvement, with its swappable battery packs.

But four hours?!? I'll stick with the MX1000. Having to go do something else for a while as my mouse charges, once every two months or so, is far preferable to swapping battery packs daily.

jorbor36

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2006
I have a mx1000, and me and my family use it. I game alot, we probably use it 10 hours a day, and the battery lasts for atleast 4 days, no joke, its perfect for gaming also

Adk_Eric

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2006
I use the Logitech MX518 and found it to be awesome. It has on the fly adjustments and very good ergonomics. I used a G7 for awhile but found it had to much lag in FPS games to be effective (it is cordless).

Of all the mice on the market right now the MX518 really is the way to go if you're into games at all. Wireless is no good for games so scratch all those mice, and there are just more functions (I use all of them all the time) on this mouse than any other out there. The MX1000 is nice for it's features but I found it to be too bulky. If they made a laser mouse with the 518's features I'd recommend that, but they don't. Get the 518.