[SOLVED] Does hdd cache metters in games fps or load times

Solution
Those 2 drives, neither. They are both 5400 RPM.
RPMs are only half the story. Modern high-density low-cost drives use shingled magnetic recording tech which increases the amount of processing the drive needs to do to record and read data and in turn massively increases read/write latency.

My seven years old WD Blue drive which I was using to archive stuff became intermittent last week and I got one of those 4TB Barracuda Compute HDDs to replace it. Although it is capable of reading and writing at 140-190MB/s sequential, random read/write latency is typically 200-800ms, which is well over an order of magnitude more latency than what can be explained by a 30% slower spindle speed. Only suitable for large rarely used files. I know...

InvalidError

Titan
Those 2 drives, neither. They are both 5400 RPM.
RPMs are only half the story. Modern high-density low-cost drives use shingled magnetic recording tech which increases the amount of processing the drive needs to do to record and read data and in turn massively increases read/write latency.

My seven years old WD Blue drive which I was using to archive stuff became intermittent last week and I got one of those 4TB Barracuda Compute HDDs to replace it. Although it is capable of reading and writing at 140-190MB/s sequential, random read/write latency is typically 200-800ms, which is well over an order of magnitude more latency than what can be explained by a 30% slower spindle speed. Only suitable for large rarely used files. I know I wasn't expecting much performance out of it but not quite this bad. I might exchange it for a non-SMR drive next week.

Solution