Does HDMI help to automatically adjust the resolution?

Ronald Sterijuanna

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2015
I have recently bought a 42" 1080p TV and trying to connect it with my 768p laptop. Even though the images in TV doesn't appear pixelated the laptop shows no sign on resolution changes when I connect it with a VGA cable. There is no option to increase the resolution in the display settings and intel GPU driver in the laptop shows "not enough memory" whenever I try to manually set the resolution.

Considering HDMI sends digital data to the screen, I was wondering if connecting with HDMI will help the TV to automatically adjust and fit received images to its full resolution.

Solution
Since changing display to external to accept the new resolution the laptops display will blank.

Closing the laptop lid puts it in sleep mode, you can change that. https://www.itsupportguides.com/knowledge-base/windows-10/windows-10-how-to-set-what-happens-when-laptop-lid-closed/

Screen will remain black until you lift it again, the guts of the laptop wont be in sleep mode.

Useful if you use an external keyboard/ mouse and dont want the lid up.

If you turn the tv off or disconnect the hdmi cable, laptop screen will turn back on, after its lifted.

Ronald Sterijuanna

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2015

I guess I am mirroring it. If that's the case how can I increase the resolution of the laptop?

Is there any way to extend the monitor from the laptop? I'm worried it won't let me due to low gpu memory

You can't as it is limited by the screen, try using Windows plus P to cycle through display options until you hit extend or secondary only

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Since changing display to external to accept the new resolution the laptops display will blank.

Closing the laptop lid puts it in sleep mode, you can change that. https://www.itsupportguides.com/knowledge-base/windows-10/windows-10-how-to-set-what-happens-when-laptop-lid-closed/

Screen will remain black until you lift it again, the guts of the laptop wont be in sleep mode.

Useful if you use an external keyboard/ mouse and dont want the lid up.

If you turn the tv off or disconnect the hdmi cable, laptop screen will turn back on, after its lifted.

Solution