Question Does HDMI support 144Hz for the newer version of monitors?

suvo30

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2016
Greetings all. Asking on behalf of my uncle. Now the thing is he wants to buy a 34-inch monitor. We have selected one as per the reviews given by all my learned friends in here and I learned a bit in the process too. The monitor we selected is LG 34UC79G, the question is does my uncle's motherboard support the monitor? He uses a10 7850k APU and moreover he uses MSI a88xm gaming motherboard. I want to know if the HDMI support 144 Hz of resolution if not what version of HDMI do we need to use that would support the 144Hz monitor? Moreover what version of display port do we use for the monitor? It would be very convenient for me too if someone posted a picture of the display port and the updated version of HDMI if at all the HDMI is supported that can be used with this version of the monitor. Any article or videos on youtube regarding this article is always welcome. These reviews to my questions I ask here means a lot to me. I learn in this process too and I also help others gain a bit of knowledge in the hardware they are using. Thanks in advance and have a nice day.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
The iGP of the A10 supports a max of HDMI1.4 IIRC, certainly not 2.0 that would be needed to drive 144Hz/1080p.
The iGP and board does have DisplayPort (1.2?) which can support 144Hz/1080p.

So, DisplayPort would be the way to go.

I guess the question here is, what does your uncle want to do with an A10-7850K and a 144Hz panel?