[SOLVED] Does HDMI to DisplayPort better than DisplayPort to DisplayPort?

Dec 15, 2020
I ordered 2 G5 Odyssey's from Samsung and they both come with HDMI cables but I only have 1 HDMI port on my GPU. So for the 2nd monitor, would it be better if I had an HDMI to DIsplayPort or a DisplayPort to DisplayPort and would it really matter which one I had. Thanks in advance!

Solution
Pure displayport is almost always going to be the better option. It supports higher refresh rates over most HDMI generations at higher resolutions. Either of them are fine, but I would certainly not buy extra hardware just to try and adapt to HDMI. Displayport will also generally try to be the primary #1 display adapter in most cases. I do not believe that for most situations going HDMI to displayport is better than simply going with DP to DP, when DP is an option.
Pure displayport is almost always going to be the better option. It supports higher refresh rates over most HDMI generations at higher resolutions. Either of them are fine, but I would certainly not buy extra hardware just to try and adapt to HDMI. Displayport will also generally try to be the primary #1 display adapter in most cases. I do not believe that for most situations going HDMI to displayport is better than simply going with DP to DP, when DP is an option.

Last edited:
Solution
Dec 15, 2020
Pure displayport is almost always going to be the better option. It supports higher refresh rates over most HDMI generations at higher resolutions. Either of them are fine, but I would certainly not buy extra hardware just to try and adapt to HDMI. Displayport will also generally try to be the primary #1 display adapter in most cases. I do not believe that for most situations going HDMI to displayport is better than simply going with DP to DP.
Sounds good, does it matter which version of the dp to dp cable I buy?

There really aren't any "versions" of cables. The monitor will support specific versions and the graphics card will support specific versions, and they BOTH have to support a specific version in order for the specifications for that version to be applicable.

When it comes to cables, I'd ignore any idea of "versions" and opt for "Quality" when it comes to choosing a cable. Looking at reviews to see if there are plenty of validations as far as "it works at X refresh rate at Y resolution for Z length cable" are what is primarily important and if there are enough people saying yes it works at 144hz at 1440p for the 10ft cable version then it probably does. If you just buy a quality cable it's a moot point but knowing which cables are quality ones can be more difficult.

How long does your cable need to be? What country are you in?

Dec 15, 2020
There really aren't any "versions" of cables. The monitor will support specific versions and the graphics card will support specific versions, and they BOTH have to support a specific version in order for the specifications for that version to be applicable.

When it comes to cables, I'd ignore any idea of "versions" and opt for "Quality" when it comes to choosing a cable. Looking at reviews to see if there are plenty of validations as far as "it works at X refresh rate at Y resolution for Z length cable" are what is primarily important and if there are enough people saying yes it works at 144hz at 1440p for the 10ft cable version then it probably does. If you just buy a quality cable it's a moot point but knowing which cables are quality ones can be more difficult.

How long does your cable need to be? What country are you in?
I'm in the US right now and a good length for the cable would be like 6 feet or so, I was also talking about the 1.2 or 1.4 DP to DP cables if that helps.

Yes, I knew what you were talking about and while you do SEE marketing put that on cable descriptions, there is no such thing as "cable versions". There are displayport cables, there are HDMI cables, there are no "versions" of those cables. The difference is ALWAYS, ONLY, in the quality of the cable, not any sort of revision. There are some different cables in terms of standard and high speed, in some cases, but overall if you buy a high quality cable this is a moot point and in any case has nothing at all to do with 1.2 vs 1.4 vs 2.0 or anything like that.

All DisplayPort cables have the same internal layout and wiring. All cables are compatible with all devices regardless of what version of DisplayPort the devices are. DisplayPort cables do not affect feature support.All features of DisplayPort will work through any cable. There are no "special" DisplayPort cables required for inline audio, FreeSync, HDR, or anything else.

To run at high resolutions and refresh rates, the cable must be able to handle the required bandwidth. Not all DisplayPort cables can handle the same amount of bandwidth. VESA (the creators of DisplayPort) offer two certifications for cables that can handle certain levels of bandwidth:

Standard DisplayPort cables are certified to handle up to at least 21.6 Gbit/s (the full bandwidth of DisplayPort 1.2)
DP8K cables are certified to handle up to at least 32.4 Gbit/s (the full bandwidth of DisplayPort 1.3/1.4)

While some people may suggest to you that any DP cable can handle full DP 1.2 bandwidth because there are no certifications below that, please note that not all DisplayPort cables are certified at all, so there are DisplayPort cables on the market that will fail to work for high-bandwidth formats like 4K 60 Hz or 1440p 144 Hz.

Although many cables advertise themselves as "DP 1.1" or "DP 1.2" or "DP 1.4" cables, be aware that these terms have no official meaning. If they are not a VESA-certified Standard DisplayPort cable or DP8K cable, then it is not certified and there are no guarantees about how much bandwidth it can handle. It is advised to purchase cables which are certified by VESA. The official list of certified cables may be found here.

Since many people seem to be having trouble finding quality DisplayPort cables, here are some recommendations:

Accell DisplayPort to DisplayPort cable (VESA-certified):
B142C-007B-2 (2.0 meters / 6.6 feet)
B142C-010B-2 (3.0 meters / 9.8 feet)

Accell DisplayPort to Mini DisplayPort cable (VESA-certified):
B143B-007B (2.0 meters / 6.6 feet)

GearIT DisplayPort to DisplayPort cable (not VESA-certified, but reviews seem to indicate they handle full DP 1.2 bandwidth out to 15 feet (4.6 meters); 25-foot version does not):
AZ-AV-DP-DP-6FT (1.8 meters / 6.0 feet)
AZ-AV-DP-DP-10FT (3.0 meters / 10.0 feet)
AZ-AV-DP-DP-15FT (4.6 meters / 15.0 feet)

PSA: There is no such thing as an 'HDMI 2.0 Cable'

With the Xbox One S officially supporting 4k and HDR output, many people on this sub and other gaming/tech subs are starting to adopt and buy in to the new format. Many people are buying shiny new 4k tv's that take full advantage of 4k@60hz and HDR.

This is great, but in general, there seems to be some confusion as to what cables do and do not support this format. I can't tell you how many times I have seen misinformation about what HDMI cables you should buy with your new 4k TV. So here is all you really need to know.

1.There are only two (2) different kinds of HDMI cables specified by the Industry: High Speed and Standard.

If you own an HDMI cable, chances are, it is a High Speed, 18Gb/s cable. These cables have been in production since 2006 with the advent of Blu-ray, and if you have bought an HDMI cable within the last 10 years, it is likely High Speed.

2.All High speed cables are created equal. A cheap 10 dollar cable will perform equally to a 90 dollar cable bought from Best Buy. As long as the cable is High Speed, it will have no problem supporting 4k@60hz with HDR.

3.As the title of this post states, there is no such thing as an HDMI 1.4 or 2.0 cable. These are the only related to the physical HDMI ports that you plug the cables into. The max bandwidth supported by HDMI 1.4 is 4k@30hz, however, that has zero bearing on the cable you are using. I'll repeat; this is not a cable standard.

The fact that HDMI 2.0 cables do not exist does not keep cable manufactures from trying to pull one over on you. If a cable states that it is an HDMI 2.0 cable, it is simply a marketing ploy. DO NOT FALL FOR IT.

Honestly, this is probably why so many people are misinformed. They think they need a new cable for that brand new TV they just bought, and the first cable they click on says "High Speed HDMI 2.0 Cable".

TL;DR: If you bought a cable within the last 10 years, it will still work perfectly with your Xbox One S and 4k HDR TV. Don't buy into Cable Manufacture's Marketing Schemes or the misinformation being perpetuated on this site.

Source: https://www.cnet.com/news/hdmi-2-0-what-you-need-to-know/

From the Manufacturer: http://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/hdmi_2_0/hdmi_2_0_faq.aspx

This would be a good choice and these are what I use. I've purchased about a dozen cables from this manufacturer for myself and client systems and have no troubles at all.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07HL336L2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

Dec 15, 2020
Yes, I knew what you were talking about and while you do SEE marketing put that on cable descriptions, there is no such thing as "cable versions". There are displayport cables, there are HDMI cables, there are no "versions" of those cables. The difference is ALWAYS, ONLY, in the quality of the cable, not any sort of revision. There are some different cables in terms of standard and high speed, in some cases, but overall if you buy a high quality cable this is a moot point and in any case has nothing at all to do with 1.2 vs 1.4 vs 2.0 or anything like that.

This would be a good choice and these are what I use. I've purchased about a dozen cables from this manufacturer for myself and client systems and have no troubles at all.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07HL336L2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1
Sounds great, just ordered the cable and looking forward to it. Thanks for all the help and clarification!