Question Does he for real have to get an older CPU first?

green_salad

Commendable
Nov 24, 2018
Hi all , my friend got himself an 320 motherboard that supports 3rd gen ryzen but he ordered a 3600 also. I know that the motherboard supports that cpu but it needs the bios update. My question is whats going to happen now? Can I go to the bios with the 3600 installed even though its not supported yet? Or have the flash drive ready for him and just install the bios? Or the pc wont even boot since it doesnt recognise the cpu ? Whats the case here?

what is the price on an AMD R3-1200 these days?

One might be able to find a computer shop (if any are still open?) that will do the BIOS flash using an existing R5-1600 etc., hopefully for a nominal fee... (If the AMD-provided cheap compatible CPU path does not work...)

This whole 3000- series BIOS issue is why so many of the BIOS Flashback-capable mainboards are popular (no CPU required to flash BIOS)

green_salad

Commendable
Nov 24, 2018
what is the price on an AMD R3-1200 these days?

One might be able to find a computer shop (if any are still open?) that will do the BIOS flash using an existing R5-1600 etc., hopefully for a nominal fee... (If the AMD-provided cheap compatible CPU path does not work...)

This whole 3000- series BIOS issue is why so many of the BIOS Flashback-capable mainboards are popular (no CPU required to flash BIOS)

Can you please tell me some of those motherboards that do support that feature? Shops are closed in my country..

green_salad

Commendable
Nov 24, 2018
Guys its ok he ordered from another company and they upgraded the bios themselves before giving the motherboard to him , thanks for all the replies. Take care people things are tough out there :)