[SOLVED] Does htpc audio into a receiver sound better via optical or av rca?

alphacoyle

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
My receiver doesn't have hdmi in so have been using the 3.5mm on htpc to receivers av rca inputs which sounds ok, but I see that I do have an optical input on the receiver and am building a new htpc so possibly could find a motherboard with onboard optical out (is mini-itx) but what I'm wondering is if the sound quality is going to be better as the new motherboards have pretty decent onboard audio, and my surround system--sony dream machine fx900--was considered higher end in it's day, which would be better?

Solution
It does sound better provided the HTIB can process the sound from your motherboard(sound card). I'd opt for the optical route since you also get directional/multi channel audio off one cable as opposed to RCA's giving only right and Left channel audio(which often is upmixed to the rear).

Lutfij

Titan
It does sound better provided the HTIB can process the sound from your motherboard(sound card). I'd opt for the optical route since you also get directional/multi channel audio off one cable as opposed to RCA's giving only right and Left channel audio(which often is upmixed to the rear).

Reactions: alphacoyle
Solution

alphacoyle

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
Finally got the build finished; hooked up both the digital and analog, probably going to take a bit of fine tuning, but my initial impression was the optical was, for lack of a better word, sharp; where the analog was softer.