[SOLVED] Does i5 7600k compatible for Windows 11?

• Thread starter Deleted member 2841972
  • Start date

sonofjesse

Distinguished
Why is everyone so all over windows 11, when we have 4 more years of windows 10 updates? I'm sure in the next 4 years we will have all these answers.

Does my 3900x support Windows 17? I doubt it, OMG I should upgrade right now then!!! oh wait, CPU out supports windows 17.

What shall I do?

InvalidError

Titan
Officially, no/not yet.

Unofficially, the insider build got hacked to work even on Core2Duo, which seems to indicate that the TPM2 and other stuff "requirement" is entirely arbitrary and subject to change.

The most logical thing for M$ to do is let people run Windows on whatever hardware they want with the caveat that support and some features may be unavailable.

Jul 2, 2021
I have a 7600k and turned my computer on this morning to find windows 11 installed. I signed up for insider builds at some point, I completely forgot about it.
Windows automatic updates 🙄

This. I'd be VERY surprised if the list of compatible hardware was not GREATLY expanded by the time the actual release of the OS comes around.

And I've NEVER seen ANY system automatically upgrade to an insider version of Windows, of which I am part of the program in both the slow and fast rings, without user authorization and a bit of a process involved. To just "find it has updated" is practically unbelievable. Even more so since you have a currently unsupported CPU and almost certainly have no hardware or software TPM enabled or installed.

Unofficially, the insider build got hacked to work even on Core2Duo, which seems to indicate that the TPM2 and other stuff "requirement" is entirely arbitrary and subject to change.
Right. But no way that would happen automatically without user intervention and implementation of the work around. It wouldn't just "happen" through Windows update. Not even if it was a brand new system.

USAFRet

Titan
I have a 7600k and turned my computer on this morning to find windows 11 installed. I signed up for insider builds at some point, I completely forgot about it.
Windows automatic updates 🙄
I've been in the Insider thing since it was a thing for the Win 10 rollout.

I've never ever had or seen a system automagically update itself like that with no user intervention.

InvalidError

Titan
I've never ever had or seen a system automagically update itself like that with no user intervention.
My mother "auto-magically" upgraded to Windows 8 during M$'s intensive nagging campaign and I ended up having to spend a couple of hours downgrading it back to Win 7 because her old laptop (Athlon E200 or something along that line) simply couldn't take it. Forced or nagging upgrade prompts are retarded.

USAFRet

Titan
My mother "auto-magically" upgraded to Windows 8 during M$'s intensive nagging campaign and I ended up having to spend a couple of hours downgrading it back to Win 7 because her old laptop (Athlon E200 or something along that line) simply couldn't take it. Forced or nagging upgrade prompts are retarded.
OK, yeah. That one was a bit intrusive.

But here, if you're running an Insider install, presumably you know that.
And would have been getting Insider updates all along. As well as the many many emails from MS.

But I have to assume that that wasn't a preview or insider release. That was most probably an ACTUAL newly released OS that they wanted to move people onto. Much different thing that automagically being upgraded to an insider preview release. They NEVER do that automatically.

Joseph_138

Distinguished
Someone will probably create a modded ISO that installs to older systems, like the ones that Hackintosh'ers use to get OS X on PC. Don't count on MS easing up on the system requirements. It's in their interest to get older hardware out of mainstream usage as quickly as possible.

Seriously, considering they are a TRILLION dollar company, it certainly wouldn't kill them to create a couple of small teams specifically intended for supporting the older operating systems to the extent that it is possible so that people who refuse to upgrade will at least at moderately secure systems so that they don't become such vulnerabilities to everybody else in the process. At least for security updates and such. And I mean consumers as well as corporate entities. But that will never ever happen, so.............

USAFRet

Titan
Seriously, considering they are a TRILLION dollar company, it certainly wouldn't kill them to create a couple of small teams specifically intended for supporting the older operating systems to the extent that it is possible so that people who refuse to upgrade will at least at moderately secure systems so that they don't become such vulnerabilities to everybody else in the process. At least for security updates and such. And I mean consumers as well as corporate entities. But that will never ever happen, so.............
But, its not just the OS.

TLS versions, browser versions, back end code, etc, etc.

Could XP run the current version of Chrome and FF? No.
Can the current backend of YouTube/Instagram speak to an ancient OS?

Not really.

The version labels for Windows are irrelevant.
Starting from WIn 286 or Win 3.0, they could have called it "Windows".
Then..."As of Oct 1 2001, the 'Windows' v98.002 is no longer supported. Please upgrade to Windows v2001.001."

All just Windows.

Same here.
Win 10 vs Win 11 is irrelevant.
"As of Oct 2025, 'Windows' v2021.004 is no longer supported. Please upgrade."

Just call it "Windows"

But the naming it of Win 11 is almost surely a marketing decision, not a functional issue.

InvalidError

Titan
Can the current backend of YouTube/Instagram speak to an ancient OS?

Not really.
Sure it could, TCP/IP hasn't changed much if at all in the last 20 years and tons of people are still on IPv4-only. The main two main problems with getting YT to work on very old hardware and OS being browser support and the computer just being plain too slow for modern CODECs except maybe at the lowest resolution. h264/720p was dodgy on my P4 and h265 has much higher processing requirements. You'd definitely need to drop to 480p, maybe even 360p.

The true main motive behind requiring SecureBoot and TPM2 though is almost certainly enhanced DRM to make Microsoft's content partners happier about their DRM becoming that much more difficult to circumvent due to more of the system and software stack being under strict(er) Microsoft control.

Joseph_138

Distinguished
And Windows XP's drawn-out demise should have taught Microsoft that a whole lot of people and companies aren't going to give up their legacy PCs/OS without a fight until several years beyond unsupported status. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

You haven't seen anything, yet. Just wait until your older video card, printer, wi-fi card, or other device stops working with Windows 11, because nobody can be bothered to update the drivers anymore. If any part mounted on your motherboard stops working due to lack of W11 drivers, you'll be forced to upgrade, even if you can run W11.

InvalidError

Titan
You haven't seen anything, yet. Just wait until your older video card, printer, wi-fi card, or other device stops working with Windows 11, because nobody can be bothered to update the drivers anymore.
If you had drivers when installing W11, you can keep using those drivers even after driver support has been discontinued, just like everyone else running OSes long after OS support has been discontinued - the entire PC is out of driver, hardware and OS support at that point and they still work fine. I can still use my 20 years old flatbed scanner on my 16 years old P4 running XP despite Epson having dropped support for it ~12 years ago.

Reactions: Darkbreeze

TRENDING THREADS