[SOLVED] Does increasing ram from 4GB to 8GB increases performance?

Status
Not open for further replies.

VickyTech

Reputable
Oct 2, 2019
I have a lenovo e41-15 Laptop.
Processor - AMD A4 3350B 2GHZ Turbo boost upto 2.4GHZ
Graphics - AMD RADEON R4 Integrated Graphics
Ram - 4GB DDR3 1600MHZ
L1 cache - 256KB
L2 cache - 2MB
I can run most games at medium or low graphic settings.
The only thing I can upgrade in this laptop is RAM.
Does increasing ram from 4GB 1600mhz to 8GB 1600mhz helps to increase performance ?

Solution
Having more memory capacity is useful if you can use more or are near the current capacity. System can slow down once you have too much memory used, so that is what you are trying to avoid. But say you are only using a max of 2GB out of 4GB, increasing to 8GB may not make such a great performance difference. However, these days streaming, multi-tasking, web browsing, even the OS can take up a lot of memory, so typically 8GB+ is best to avoid slow downs as you scale up in load.

Actual performance increase in processing power is through a higher DRAM frequency or lower timings, but most pre-built systems are restricted due to BIOS, so options are limited. In your case DDR3-1600 is already maximum, so at this point you are not necessarily...

GeorgeGod

Reputable
Jul 4, 2019
I have a lenovo e41-15 Laptop.
Processor - AMD A4 3350B 2GHZ Turbo boost upto 2.4GHZ
Graphics - AMD RADEON R4 Integrated Graphics
Ram - 4GB DDR3 1600MHZ
L1 cache - 256KB
L2 cache - 2MB
I can run most games at medium or low graphic settings.
The only thing I can upgrade in this laptop is RAM.
Does increasing ram from 4GB 1600mhz to 8GB 1600mhz helps to increase performance ?
yes the ram can increase a bit you can also download like geforce expririence for the nvidia card only like i have.You can download if there is some Amd software who will update your drivers or if there nothing try downloading driver booster:https://download.cnet.com/Driver-Booster/3000-18513_4-75992725.html

VickyTech

Reputable
Oct 2, 2019

Encryption+

Upstanding
Sep 26, 2019
Yes more ram will always help performance. Here's a link to some compatible 8GB RAM. Also if your using a hard drive then you might want to switch to an SSD. I'd reccomend the Samsung 860 EVO but whichever one you prefer.

Having more memory capacity is useful if you can use more or are near the current capacity. System can slow down once you have too much memory used, so that is what you are trying to avoid. But say you are only using a max of 2GB out of 4GB, increasing to 8GB may not make such a great performance difference. However, these days streaming, multi-tasking, web browsing, even the OS can take up a lot of memory, so typically 8GB+ is best to avoid slow downs as you scale up in load.

Actual performance increase in processing power is through a higher DRAM frequency or lower timings, but most pre-built systems are restricted due to BIOS, so options are limited. In your case DDR3-1600 is already maximum, so at this point you are not necessarily increasing speed but more so simultaneous capability.

As far as FPS, that is due to a higher DRAM Frequency since GPU shares system memory. The two performance factors are slightly different. In the case your games take up over 3.5GB during game play, lag can be expected soon so in this case more capacity is necessary to sustain without caching and bogging down the system.

Last edited:
Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.