Does installing an SSD void the warranty?

RR4Life

Reputable
Dec 6, 2015
I recently purchased a brand new Dell Inspiron 15 5000 laptop, and I've got used to having an SSD in my desktop computer so I would like to put one in my new laptop. Would replacing the hard drive with an SSD void the warranty? I'd be putting a 250GB Samsung Evo in the laptop.

avarice

Distinguished
May 10, 2006
I would suggest that if you need to break the security stickers of a laptop in order to get to the good stuff - then Yes - you would be voiding your warranty.

Even if you don't break the security stickers - it can be argued that your actions may have contributed to the failure that you would want to claim on the warranty.

Regardless - I would still do it. I did this on a net book once and it took the useless piece of crap up a few notches to a usable piece of crap.

Good luck.

RR4Life

Reputable
Dec 6, 2015
I haven't yet had chance to take the bottom of the laptop off to see if there are any stickers, but I haven't encountered any on previous SSD upgrades on laptops and desktops, so I don't believe there would be one on here! I will obviously double check to make sure before I do anything, but thank you for your responses!

RR4Life

Reputable
Dec 6, 2015

That's a good idea! If there are no stickers then they would be none the wiser!