Does intel core2 duo supporrt 500 gb hard disk

ulillillia

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2011
Even an old Pentium 3 should be able to. HDD space limits are determined mostly by the operating system, primarily the file system used. NTSF, if I recall, goes to 16 EB (basically, 16,777,216 TB).

phyco126

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011

Nope. It only goes to 2.72 TB, max. I can't remember the name off the top of my head, but the new file system goes much higher now. This is why people can't install 3 TB HDDs as a boot drive, especially with NTSF.

Also, the size of the hard drive allowed depends on the motherboard as well. Add in cards can solve this problem.

vdr369

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2010

HDD memory was limited by bios not by Processor. u can install 10,000 gb if your motherboard have hybrid efi bios. and u need to do MBR partition instead of NTFS if u install more than 2tb as a boot drive.

and for ur doubt yes it will run absolutely without problem up to 2000 gb.

:sol: :sol: :sol:

popatim

Titan

Just so others dont think any of this is true, here is the correct info:

The NTFS max volume size is not quite 256 TB.
The Max File size is not quite 16TB. (128GB under XP sp1's version of NTFS)
Max bootable size is 2.19TB under MBR (Master Boot Record) with conventional Bios motherboards
For drives greater than 2TB you can format NTFS using GPT volumes (GUID Partition Table) which are bootable with motherboards using UEFI bios's.

Add in cards will not solve the >3tb boot issue, its strictly a bios function/problem it may work via USB (I've never seen anyone test that)

UEFI is not planned to be compatible with Vista 32, or any version of XP that I am aware of.

The only limiting factors that we have had on HDD size was back before with the 845 and 865 chipsets and we released a set of utilities that by past that. So if you had an old Intel® Desktop board D865PERL early on in its release you might have had a problem with large HDD for that time. That limitation I believe was 120GB or something close to that. We released an update for those boards that would overcome this limitation a very long time ago and nothing on our end has limited them since.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team

phyco126

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011

Ah, you are right. But the first 3TB drives that were released had add on cards to use to by-pass some sort of limitations. Were those for storage drives?