Question Does Intel Optane work with B450(M) motherboards?

wilbarker5

Prominent
Feb 1, 2019
Hiya!

So I was thinking about getting an intel optane or a NVME ssd, but for the sake of arguing I would like to know if its possible to get a intel optane to work on a b450 motherboard?

Specs:
Mobo: MSI Mortar Max B450 Micro ATX
CPU: Ryzen 5 3600
GPU: RTX 2060
RAM: 16GB DDR4 3200mhz
SSD: Crucial 250gb 2.5 Inch
HDD: 4TB Seagate Barracuda 3.5 Inch

Thanks!

USAFRet

Titan
So lets say for speeding up my HDD and SSD or something like that.
Read up on what Optane actually is.
https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/architecture-and-technology/intel-optane-technology.html
It is both a small memory module for, in theory, speeding up access to a HDD.
This is primarily for data center use. For instance, a database server. You can configure to have the stored procedures live in the fast solid state space, and the actual data to be retrieved in the spinning space.

It does no good to pair that with an SSD. Using one fast drive (Optane) to speed up an already fast drive (SSD).

It is also a SSD in its own right, 480GB or larger, and stupid expensive per GB.
This would be useful if you have bottomless pockets.

Rare are the use cases where Optane is a good idea in the consumer space.

Just get an NVMe, if your motherboard supports it.

wilbarker5

Prominent
Feb 1, 2019
Read up on what Optane actually is.
https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/architecture-and-technology/intel-optane-technology.html
It is both a small memory module for, in theory, speeding up access to a HDD.
This is primarily for data center use. For instance, a database server. You can configure to have the stored procedures live in the fast solid state space, and the actual data to be retrieved in the spinning space.

It does no good to pair that with an SSD. Using one fast drive (Optane) to speed up an already fast drive (SSD).

It is also a SSD in its own right, 480GB or larger, and stupid expensive per GB.
This would be useful if you have bottomless pockets.

Rare are the use cases where Optane is a good idea in the consumer space.

Just get an NVMe, if your motherboard supports it.

I know how an optane works, but Im wondering is it compatible with a b450 or AMD motherboards? I know it caches the likes of your HDD and even normal SSDs.

ragnarok0274

Proper
Sep 12, 2020
I won a 16GB optane stick on eBay (with no serial number sticker and 2 years of use, but it was $7) and am planning to use StoreMI to accelerate by 2TB HDD. Even though I have a B350 chipset.
That reminds me.
How do you run StoreMI on a B350 chipset?

TRENDING THREADS