Does IPS really suck for gaming or is it my graphic card?

Jerry000

Reputable
Feb 10, 2016
I got a brand new dell u2417u, before i had samsung syncmaster t220. The thing is, on that screen it was all ok. On dell i see little problems like red dropshadow on text when i scroll (i use f.lux). Without f.lux it is OK. But than again one strange thing, on reddit main screen where there are gray circles with icon (beside name of topic), when i scroll i see inner drop shadow. This only occurs with these icons, text, images are fine.

Also another thing, i have dual core, radeon 5850, 4gb ram (9 year old PC) and it runs Overwatch on midium with 40-50FPS on 3vs3 mode..with Dell frame rate drops to 30FPS. Is there a reason for this? Maibe because it is 8ms responce time vs 2ms responce time on old monitor? Or because it has different resolution? I need answers because i am confused...did i buy broken monitor or is this normal?

Please help, should i get it back to store and take other display or is this normal and it could get better with better PC?

Nothing is wrong. Your dell is a higher resolution this is why you have lower fps in overwatch.

Jerry000

Reputable
Feb 10, 2016

So basicly, Dell U2417H is good for gaming even if it is IPS screen? Than if i get better PC, i wont see those shadows on text when i scroll? Also i notice a bit "lag" when i test counter strike..but not musch. Or i am to picky with looking at this, but it is a new monitor and i want to be all OK

The artifacts you're seeing when scrolling are because the IPS screen has a slower response time (how long it takes for the pixels to change from displaying one thing to another). It's one of the drawbacks of IPS, and why many gamers prefer TN panels. Upgrading your computer won't change it. You have to pick your poison - the slower response time of IPS, or the color shift as you move your head with TN. Hopefully in the near future we'll switch to OLED screens which have neither of these problems, though they still need to address the PWM they use to regulate brightness (the pixels flash very quickly to appear dimmer, which is blindingly obvious to some people).

As noted above, you're getting slower framerates because the resolution of your new monitor is higher. Upgrading your computer/GPU will help with this.

Jerry000

Reputable
Feb 10, 2016

But why i see this shadow only on gray icons in reddit? I see inner shadow. Text i see great if i disable f.lex program.

Short answer: You don't want to know.

Long answer: The response time measures the time it takes to change a pixel from only one specific value to another, usually 90% brightness to 10% brightness or vice versa (each manufacturer seems to use a different standard so they're actually not directly comparable). Following the long tradition of cheating at benchmarks, LCD manufacturers employ a bunch of tricks to speed up how quickly the pixel will switch between the brightness levels in this standard. A side-effect is that these tricks can sometimes slow down how quickly the pixel can switch between other brightness levels.

It's counter-intuitive, but a panel tweaked for fast response switching pixels from black to white, may actually take longer to switch from dark grey to light grey. The two instances of ghosting you've noticed probably just happen to fall on brightness levels the panel's pixels are weak at switching between.

Jerry000

Reputable
Feb 10, 2016

But still i am not sure, i didnt notice any ghosting or delay on Overwatch (beside frame drop, but that is because bigger resolution and old PC). Also in CSGO, no ghosting. So i persume this Dell U2417H is OK, but needs a better PC to handle more FPS in games. Am i right? Basicly, question is more oriented in "Is Dell U2417H good for gaming?". I am not professional gamer, i just love to play first person shooter games and other games to. Have to try this screen on better PC

TRENDING THREADS