Does it exist? Affordable PC case with good airflow BUT also quiet AND isnt ugly?

louno

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2009
I need a mid tower atx case and I've been looking at alot of reviews and its hard...

I am doing a ryzen build and in order to get the best of the cpu auto overclock, it needs to be stay cool. I already have a noctua heatsink NH-DH14 which I will use and I will also use noctua fans in my case. I know that the case itself can only do so much to reduce sound, the main thing is to choose quiet component, but still, a case that is more open will result in more audible noise... however a case that is too closed will suffer in terms of thermals.

I like the looks of the fractal design R6, but it is a bit on the expensive side and the thermals arent very good, its a bit on the warm side. Fractal does have a Meshify version which i find very nice looking but that one is full open mesh front and top, so, in terms of noise its worst than a lot of cases.

I have no problem replacing fans that come with the case with noctuas or other silent ones if thats needed, but if so ideally the case would be cheaper to offset the extra cash i would need to spend on silent fans.

Having a glass side panel isnt absolutely necessary, although I do kinda like the look. I dont care about RGB.

Basically it seems like quiet cases are often bad in terms of thermals, and good airflow cases are often ugly and bad in terms of noise... Isnt there a case that is good at both or that is well above average and well balanced? With filters that are easy to clean etc...

One other thing which is minor, but if the power/reset button could be located on the front instead of the top... My current case has those buttons on the top and i need to keep something covering the buttons otherwise my cat will press those at the worst possible time of course...

Thx!

Solution
I have 2 pc's. The first is in a CM 690 II Advanced case, which has a full mesh front and top, just like the FD Meshify. It's dead silent. The only way I know it's running is by the leds on the power/hdd lights. Even under heavy loads.
The other pc is in a FD Define R5 Window, which is almost identical to the R6. It has absolutely no airflow issues, it runs with a 280mm aio as intake and the 2x stock 140mm as top exhaust. It used to be the other way around, I'm testing for temp differentials according to placement. It too is dead silent.

Cases do not have any affect on noise produced, only on noise reduced. Noise production is all about the fans and the fan curves. Use crappy, noisy fans at high rpm, you'll get a lot...

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
I have 2 pc's. The first is in a CM 690 II Advanced case, which has a full mesh front and top, just like the FD Meshify. It's dead silent. The only way I know it's running is by the leds on the power/hdd lights. Even under heavy loads.
The other pc is in a FD Define R5 Window, which is almost identical to the R6. It has absolutely no airflow issues, it runs with a 280mm aio as intake and the 2x stock 140mm as top exhaust. It used to be the other way around, I'm testing for temp differentials according to placement. It too is dead silent.

Cases do not have any affect on noise produced, only on noise reduced. Noise production is all about the fans and the fan curves. Use crappy, noisy fans at high rpm, you'll get a lot of noise, use good, quiet fans at lower rpm, they run silent.

Airflow can be affected by the case design, but for most better cases, it's so minimal it's not worth mentioning. Any case reviews where airflow affecting case temps is measured is also using just the stock fans, not additional fans and almost never aftermarket fans. So if you are running away from a decent case simply because you perceive its got bad airflow, just remember, that's only using the 1x-2x-3x fans provided, not the 5x or 6x you'll probably end up with.

Case: Inwin - 303 Black ATX Mid Tower Case ($85.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Solution