Does it make any sense or can I see any performance upgrade if I change my RAM from 4 to 8 GB, in the presence of SSD

zarizvi

Reputable
Jan 21, 2015
I have a laptop with Win64 bit system with intel i3 processor on a Sandy bridge platform. I have recently replaced my hard drive with a SSD. Now I am also thinking to upgrade my RAM from 4 to 8 GB, however not sure if I could see any visible improvement with that?

I am basically a home user and uses this laptop for normal use watching movies, browsing, MS office applications etc.

Would it make any sense or can I see any performance upgrade if I change my RAM from 4 to 8 GB, in the presence of SSD hardrive?

Solution
Just set page file to system managed and forget about it.

SSD's are fast enough and yours is big enough not to worry about the small amount of space the pagefile will use.

Just be sure to use the Samsung Magician software to optimize your SSD for reliability.

ulysses35

Distinguished
Unless you have any software that specifically requires more RAM, you probably wont see a difference.
There are some caveats with SSD's in pplace of HDD's

1) page file ? have you disabled this or left it enabled - there are pros and cons to both options. However if you have 4gb of RAM and need more memory Windows will use the page file on your SSD - since SSD's are much faster than HDD's at read / write operations the dreaded lag is long gone. There is evidence that constant read / writes associated with page files can affect the life of the SSD - how much is a bit of a guess.

zarizvi

Reputable
Jan 21, 2015

Hmm, This means to be on the safe side its better to have more RAM since its quite affordable now a days and disable Page file???

ulysses35

Distinguished
Some software still requires a page file even if you have 8gb of RAM - its a bit of a throwback to older versions of windows and times when PC RAM was a lot more expensive.

You could disable the page file on your SSD and see how well your laptop behaves, I tried this a couple of years back when SSD's were still relatively new - Windows 7 occasionally threw a fit when I disable the page file.

Which model SSD do you have ?

zarizvi

Reputable
Jan 21, 2015

Samsung evo 850 (250GB)

g90814

Honorable
Apr 11, 2013
Just set page file to system managed and forget about it.

SSD's are fast enough and yours is big enough not to worry about the small amount of space the pagefile will use.

Just be sure to use the Samsung Magician software to optimize your SSD for reliability.

Solution