[SOLVED] Does it make sense for me to go from 2400mhz to 3000mhz in this case?

Sep 15, 2020
I have a i5 9400f + h310m 2.0 + hyperx ddr4 8gb 2400mhz(single stick). This mobo only supports ram speeds up to 2666mhz. I'm fine with the 8gb for now, but I imagine it's not gonna be enough for gaming within the next 1-2 years, plus I'm not running dual channel. Rams have become quite expensive here in my country since the pandemic, but I found these on sale. I have the option to just get another single 2400mhz stick, which is compatible with my current one or I could spend more cash and get a 2x8gb 3000mhz kit, since the unit prices are somewhat close. And then sell my current module. In this case I'd only use the full 3000mhz when I upgrade the motherboard.

Also, does RAM voltage play a role on whether it's compatible with a motherboard?

Solution
I see. If I'm to get a new kit, then I'd rather go for the 3000mhz. Would that be a problem with my current mobo? Or would it just downclock to 2666mhz?

This 2400mhz stick I'm looking into buying has the same speed/CL/Voltage and brand as my current one. Would that still be a problem?

Just because the specs look the same doesn't mean it is perfectly matched.

You're lucky in that Kingston are actually an independent ram manufacturer, it will be Kingston die always as crucial will always be micron.

Theres a decent chance of it working, considering prices of dual channel kits versus single sticks though you may actually be better off purchasing a 2 stick kit and selling the single stick.

Generally a single module will cost...
I have a i5 9400f + h310m 2.0 + hyperx ddr4 8gb 2400mhz(single stick). This mobo only supports ram speeds up to 2666mhz. I'm fine with the 8gb for now, but I imagine it's not gonna be enough for gaming within the next 1-2 years, plus I'm not running dual channel. I have the option to just get another single 2400mhz stick, which is compatible with my current one or I could spend more cash and get a 2x8gb 3000mhz kit, since the unit prices are somewhat close. And then sell my current module. In this case I'd only use the full 3000mhz when I upgrade the motherboard.

Also, does RAM voltage play a role on whether it's compatible with a motherboard?

Better buying a matching kit and replacing the existing stick completely, it removes the chance of compatibility issues.

Ram voltage? Dependant on xmp profile used.

At 2666mhz or under all ram will default to 1.2v irregardless of its max speed specs if xmp profile is enabled.

Above that most ram requires 1.35v (and will default to 1.35v if xmp is enabled)

Some high end or well binned ram can do 3000mhz at 1. 2v without any trouble.

Really a non issue though, not something you really have to worry about.

Sep 15, 2020
Better buying a matching kit and replacing the existing stick completely, it removes the chance of compatibility issues.

Ram voltage? Dependant on xmp profile used.

At 2666mhz or under all ram will default to 1.2v irregardless of its max speed specs if xmp profile is enabled.

Above that most ram requires 1.35v (and will default to 1.35v if xmp is enabled)

Some high end or well binned ram can do 3000mhz at 1. 2v without any trouble.

Really a non issue though, not something you really have to worry about.

I see. If I'm to get a new kit, then I'd rather go for the 3000mhz. Would that be a problem with my current mobo? Or would it just downclock to 2666mhz?

This 2400mhz stick I'm looking into buying has the same speed/CL/Voltage and brand as my current one. Would that still be a problem?

You're lucky in that Kingston are actually an independent ram manufacturer, it will be Kingston die always as crucial will always be micron.

Theres a decent chance of it working, considering prices of dual channel kits versus single sticks though you may actually be better off purchasing a 2 stick kit and selling the single stick.

Generally a single module will cost $40 and a kit will cost $60.

You also benefit from slightly faster speed and performance even at 2666mhz.

Set xmp in bios and 3000mhz ram will run at 2666mhz 1.2v with no issue at all on that board.

Solution
Sep 15, 2020

Generally a single module will cost $40 and a kit will cost $60.

You also benefit from slightly faster speed and performance even at 2666mhz.

Set xmp in bios and 3000mhz ram will run at 2666mhz 1.2v with no issue at all on that board.

All right, then. Thanks for the help. Acquired some more knowledge here.