[SOLVED] Does it make sense to replace a dead AM3 motherboard with an AM3+ motherboard?

jeffreyropp

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2010
So my old AM3 motherboard may be dead. Not interested in building something new right now but wondering if it makes sense to buy an AM3+ motherboard if I have to buy a replacement immediately. My thought is that I could use the existing Athlon Phenom II processor and RAM and have a modest CPU upgrade path.

Maybe something like ASUS M5A78L-M?

Does that make sense or should I just buy the same AM3 motherboard for now until I'm ready to invest in something current?

Thanks for the thoughts!

Last edited:
Solution
So my old AM3 motherboard may be dead. Not interested in building something new right now but wondering if it makes sense to buy an AM3+ motherboard if I have to buy a replacement immediately. My thought is that I could use the existing Athlon Phenom II processor and RAM and have a modest CPU upgrade path.

Does that make sense or should I just buy the same AM3 motherboard for now until I'm ready to invest in something current?

Thanks for the thoughts!
Depends on the price you can get such MB for. Even with an AM3+ MB there's no much sense of CPU upgrade. all of them are well and truly obsolete.

Thanks for the thoughts!
Depends on the price you can get such MB for. Even with an AM3+ MB there's no much sense of CPU upgrade. all of them are well and truly obsolete.

Solution