[SOLVED] Does it matter if my psu is 10 wattage to low

Jan 12, 2019
I have a prebuilt pc acer xc600 i5 model with a 220w psu. I want to upgrade my gpu because i want more performance. So i bought the gtx 750 ti. But if i look to coolermaster psu calculator i saw that my pc in total has 231 wattage. Is that a problem and can my pc burn or can i just play my games without any worries. If there are problems can i lower the wattage of my gp

Solution

How many amps are on the +12V rail of your power supply? If you have a prebuilt PSU, it may very well not even truly be a 220W PSU in terms of +12V power, which is extremely important post-Pentium III.

If you truly need 230W, then going over on a cheap OEM power supply is just asking to destroy something.

coolnate390

Prominent
Jan 1, 2018
The more intense games and overclocks you put on the system the more wattage it is going to use. If you go over your PSU wattage it will work but you will most likely experience bluescreens while gaming. Upgrade to a 500w would be my reccomendation.

coolnate390

Prominent
Jan 1, 2018

That will work fine. Everything is up to you as far as upgrade plans in the future, it's just making sure everything is compatible. Good luck!

Jan 12, 2019

Is there a way yo underclock my gpu

Jan 12, 2019

Is there a possiblr way to lower the wattagr of my gpu or cpu

coolnate390

Prominent
Jan 1, 2018

No only feature i could think of is low performance mode in the windows control. However I highly recommend to sat above the wattage needed.

Jan 12, 2019

Will my games run on 1080p or are they running lower

coolnate390

Prominent
Jan 1, 2018

Completely depends on what games you play and the settings you use in them. I would guess you will be able to run average games 1080p 60fps on Mid-Low settings.

Jan 12, 2019

Is it then with the 10 wattage above or without the 10 wattage
And i would like to play 1080p or 720p low to mid settings. I play fortnite call of duty :mw2,bo1,bo2
And some rocket league

coolnate390

Prominent
Jan 1, 2018

Wattage does not affect game performance, it will only make your computer crash if it is not high enough. I think you will be able to handle mid settings on those games.

DSzymborski

Titan

How many amps are on the +12V rail of your power supply? If you have a prebuilt PSU, it may very well not even truly be a 220W PSU in terms of +12V power, which is extremely important post-Pentium III.

If you truly need 230W, then going over on a cheap OEM power supply is just asking to destroy something.

Solution
Jan 12, 2019

So i can play the games wuthout crasying my pc and if it crash will it help to lower the mhz of my gpu

DSzymborski

Titan

The next step is *all* the specs including your exact PSU, or at least the information on the +12V rail which should be directly on your power supply. You're skipping the safety stuff to go right to the fun stuff.

Jan 12, 2019

I dont understand what u mean but thank you
But does it help if i lower the mhz of my gpu

DSzymborski

Titan

You shouldn't even be installing the GPU in the PC at all until you know the information that's being asked. Lack of research is a good way to send a PC like this to an early grave. Worry about the clock speed of your GPU is completely besides the point and shouldn't even be an issue until we understand your exact power delivery situation.

On your power supply, there ought to be some kind of chart that lists the specifications. If you're unable to provide information off this chart, then you need to post an image of it.