Does it matter if my ram sticks have heatsinks?

jm-april20

Commendable
Sep 27, 2018
I plan on overclocking them quite a bit, right now I have the G.Skill NT series 2400 mhz (2x4GB) picked out for a ryzen 3 2200g cpu. I would like to get the speeds up to 2933mhz. I've never overclocked so I don't know if that may be a bit too ambitious of me.

Solution
Basically, you would be better off getting that 3200MHz kit.
When you install it with default XMP settings it will run at most at 2666MHz. You can set it higher with more settings in the BIOS (not technically OCing, its already set) but your motherboard might not be able to handle the speed. You can always just turn it down to a speed it can handle 3200, 3000, 2666 etc.
Compared to OCing a kit only rated for 2400MHz, this is much easier, and safer.
RAM gets really hot during intensive tasks. You want to overclock it too so the heatsink can help you a bit.
Even if you can overclock that RAM to 3000 MHz you'll need to loosen up the timings so much that you'll get simillar or maybe worse performance than stock.
I would go with 3000 MHz RAM atleast on Ryzen, it really does bring performance up.
If you're using the Vega integrated GPU is even more important to get higher frequency RAM, because a part of it will be used as the VRAM for that Vega integrated graphics

No, not really. The heatsinks (more aptly named, heatspeaders) are mostly for looks these days.
As for OCing RAM, your specific goal is generally a bad plan.
OCing high performance RAM can net you some gains, as they are designed for that.
However, a cheap 2400MHz kit likely was tested for higher speeds, and failed, hence it was marketed as a 2400MHz kit instead of being used in a higher clocked retail kit.
If you plan to hit around 3000MHz, just buy that speed, its only a few bucks more.

jm-april20

Commendable
Sep 27, 2018

My motherboard (MSI - B350M PRO-VD PLUS) supports ram speeds of [2133 - 2400 - 2666 - 2933(OC) - 3200(OC)]

So should I just go with 2666 and see if overclocking gets me anywhere? or get 3200 and see if it works? On another note, does the supported ram speed really mean anything or is it REALLY incompatible with ram speeds that aren't supported?

Basically, you would be better off getting that 3200MHz kit.
When you install it with default XMP settings it will run at most at 2666MHz. You can set it higher with more settings in the BIOS (not technically OCing, its already set) but your motherboard might not be able to handle the speed. You can always just turn it down to a speed it can handle 3200, 3000, 2666 etc.
Compared to OCing a kit only rated for 2400MHz, this is much easier, and safer.

Solution

jm-april20

Commendable
Sep 27, 2018

So I can set the speed to something that isn't specifically stated as being supported as long as it's between the minimum and the maximum?

jm-april20

Commendable
Sep 27, 2018

ah, I think I finally get it, thanks for explaining!

If you raise the speed you raise the heat by a similar amonut, If you raise the Voltage to support even higher speeds that compounds the added heat.
But remember that heatsinks need airflow to do any good. It's easy to lose sight of this on a water cooled system.
But ChumP is right. If you have to loosen up the timing you can lose as much as you gained in speed. If you get RAM that's rated for the speed you want, then it will already have the right timings on the module.