Question Does it matter if the SSD is TLC or MLC in the long run?

WrongRookie

Reputable
Oct 23, 2020
I'm planning to get a 4TB SSD which is Samsung 870 Evo. But I've heard that its TLC and that it doesn't last as long as MLC. I would like to know if it really does affect the lifespan if all I do on it is just put my games and recorded or edited files on the SSD itself. So would it really matter if its either TLC or MLC?

I am of course aware that this should not excuse backing up files. However, I want it to be very reliable and not like my old Seagate hard drive that just died out of nowhere without any kind of warning...

WrongRookie

Reputable
Oct 23, 2020
Being a manmade electronic device, many things.

I had an SSD die very suddenly. SATA III 960GB SanDisk .
Nowhere near its warranty life cycles.

Just....dead.
No idea why.
SanDisk agreed it was dead, and gave me a replacement.

Ok so basically what you're saying is that while SSDs can die out of anything, the write speeds will take a looong time for it to die from it whether its TLC or MLC?

Aug 3, 2022
I have 2 mlc one is a Kingston v300 which is still at 100 percent health and and Intel S3710 400gb which is rated at 8.3petabyte writes. Designed to be rewritten 10 per day x 5 years. The Intel was bought new ( old stock) on eBay If you want a new one at that rating then it’s about 1200 to 1500 dollars. I got mine for 90 dollars